Chapter 25- Mission (partially) successful.

 ~A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.

Ingrid Bergman~

 I got up and looked at her. Those eyes held guilt, remorse and regret. 

“You are engaged to marry someone else?” I asked her in barely a whisper.

My heart was breaking on the inside. I was surprised she couldn’t hear the sound of the heart getting crushed and stomped. 

Tears filled her eyes as she looked at me. “Yes.” She replied in the same tone and looked down. 

A tear slowly made its way to her chin. 

“So that was a lie? You don’t love me anymore?” I asked her, my eyes struggling to hold back the tears.

“I do, I love you very much Chris. Your mother sent us a letter saying that you are getting married to Anna.” She said with more tears running down her face.

“I wanted that, I really did, but it broke my heart.” She said.

I had the sudden urge to wipe of her tears but held back. 

“Who gave you the letter?” I asked her. 

“A guard from your palace.” She replied.

Definitely the dormant enemy’s doing.

“So, who’s the lucky douche bag?” I asked her. 

“Prince of Scotland, Sean.” She replied in a whisper. 

“You are not wearing this ring. You are getting married to me Diana. I’m not getting married to Anna. I will never get married to her! Do you even hear yourself?” I asked her, my whispers turning into a maniac laugh.

“It is about promise Chris.” She said and looked at me with those big purple eyes.

“What promise? What about our promise Di? Our promise of us being together? Always?” I asked her.

“Chris, there wasn’t an us.” She said and wiped her tears. “It was you and me. Two lovers who will never be together.” She said.

“You are mine Diana.” I said and grabbed her wrists. 

“No, Chris. I’m Sean’s. I’m engaged to marry him.” She said. I removed the ring from her hand and threw it on the ground.

“What are you doing?” She yelled.

 “Removing his ring. What does it look like?” I told her with a sarcastic laugh.

“My father will be dishonored Chris. It won’t look good. It would be breaking his promise. I don’t want him to suffer because of this.” She said.

She had a point.

“Okay, just tell them that you lost the ring. What if he is dishonored in front of them?” I asked with a wink.

“You are not doing anything like that.” She said in a warning tone. 

“I can’t promise that. I will kidnap you if that is what it takes.” I said and again winked. 

Time to get my plan into action.

***

“I don’t want you to ruin my marriage in front of my own eyes Chris.” Nate said from below as I installed the mike and the camera in Diana’s room.