Chapter 24- Dormant Enemies

Chapter 24- Dormant enemies.

~ Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

Aristotle~

 The first sense which I regained was the stench smell of disinfectants and ammonia.

Definitely a hospital. I thought.

I had difficulty in opening my eyes.

There was a hand embracing my hand and I pressed the hand to give a signal.

That person gasped and called the doctors.

“Doctor!” The feminine voice, which I recognized as Aunt Amy’s shouted.

“He’s awake.” She shouted.

I heard the rustling of the door and some heavy footsteps.

The beeps of the machines were irritating the devil out of me.

“Christopher.” I heard the doctor say. “Christopher, if you can hear me, press the hand again. I know you are having difficulty in opening your eyes, but this is the only way I will come to know if you really are awake.” He ranted.

I just groaned, which came out like a raspy groan. Suddenly all my senses became active.

My throat was as dry as the Sahara. I couldn’t speak, so I pressed the hand once again.

“Seems like you are awake.” He said.

No shit Sherlock. I silently thought.

“Nurse, dim the lights.” He shouted.

“Christopher, on the count of three, I want you to open your eyes.” He said.

“One, two, three.” He said and I opened my eyes.

I was met with white ceilings and the doctor’s hopeful eyes.

“Good. How are you feeling Christopher?” He asked.

“Thirsty.” I managed to speak up.

He handed me a glass of water which I greedily accepted and drank.

“Do you remember what happened to you?” He asked.

“I got shot.” I said a long pause. He nodded and wrote something down.

As if on cue, the mild pain started in my chest.

“Does it pain?” He asked.

“Only a little.” I truthfully replied.

“Good.” He said. “I’m going to call your family members now. Do you have any questions?” He asked.

“What is the date?” I asked him.

“18th January.” He replied.

Eighteenth January!

In about ten days, my buddy is getting married and I’m lying on this bed.

“Oh honey!” Mother came in and hugged me. “You almost died!” She sobbed.

“Mother, stop crying. I’m all fine now.” I said and hugged her back.

“Oh Chris.” She said and pecked my cheek. “We couldn’t afford to lose you.” She said and hugged more tightly.

“Bri, he’s fine.” My father said, with tears in his eyes.