Chapter 8: Backstories

Silver and his friends continued their walk through the forest that's starting to look more like a jungle. Today, they were in search of food. While walking, Silver noticed how quiet everyone was. The only things that could be heard were the sounds of the Mobians' footsteps on the grass and the eerie yet calming sounds of the former forest.

Silver could no longer take the silence. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Um, so Rouge, when do you think we'll find food?" he asked. Rouge, who was leading the group, turned her head only a little bit to respond to Silver, who was in the back with Blaze. "Soon I'm hoping." she said in a positive tone obviously trying to stay optimistic.

Silver thought about what else to say to get a conversation going. "So I was wondering Rouge, what was your life like before you ended up at Power Hour?" he asked. "It was like paradise." she started. "I lived in a huge house almost as big as a mansion! And it was just me and my parents. My parents treated me like I was their little princess. They would get me anything I asked for and even things I didn't ask for. You can bet I was spoiled to the core." she said with a chuckle. "They hardly ever said 'no', they were just as loving as they come. One time, however, I was in my room spinning around happily. I had just got a new tricycle that day. As I spun I found myself spinning faster and faster until I formed a little twister." she continued.

"Once I finally stopped I fell down and was very dizzy. I didn't know what had happened but I kinda liked it, so I tried again. I spun until I created that same twister, then for some reason I felt the urge to kick out. So I did. That's when I heard something break. Once I stopped spinning again I looked around to see what I hit, this time I wasn't so dizzy. I immediately noticed my bed was lopsided and found out that I'd broken one of the legs. The frame of my bed wasn't made of any cheap material, mind you. I was obviously surprised at my hidden strength and ran downstairs to tell my parents. After I showed them the twister and my broken bed I saw their expressions. They looked more worried than anything." she said.

"They took me back downstairs and called Power Hour's guards to come pick me up. I was scared and confused so I asked them what was going on. They told me they were sending me away. I couldn't believe it! I started tearing up and asked them why. They said it was for the best. Eventually the guards came and took me, that was the last time I saw my parents." She paused for a minute, but then continued. "I really didn't know what to expect going into a place like Power Hour, but Bill's kind words made me feel somewhat safer." she finished and realized she had spoken a ton.

"Sorry about that. I got kinda carried away there." she apologized to the group. "No it's fine." Silver said. "All the children at Power Hour have shared their childhoods with each other. The childhoods they had before they were sent or brought there." Blaze said. "Maybe it's about time you knew about ours." she said to Silver. Blaze sighed before speaking again.

"I lived in a normal home." she started. "I don't remember much about it since I was only a little kitten. My parents didn't love me, they never really cared for me. I was always the last thing on their minds. After my second birthday I guess they decided they no longer wanted me, so they abandoned me. Left me on a sidewalk in the middle of the city. During that time I had to learn how to survive. I would steal food from markets and avoid any contact with other Mobians. Eventually I learned I could manipulate fire and used it to my advantage." she said.

"At first I would only steal fruits because those didn't have to be cooked. But with my ability I could take meats and cook them to my liking. After a month of living on the streets Power Hour guards spotted me and tried to catch me, but I wasn't going down that easily. It took them a week to finally get me and take me to Power Hour. I would try and escape a few times but I eventually gave up and learned to live there." she finished. "Wow." Silver said quietly. "It's really hard for me to imagine living on the streets. I would always be afraid I'd get run over by a vehicle or something." he continued. "Knuckles, how about you?" he then asked.