Chapter 25: Apology In The Valley

Shadow was sitting on a flat rock hunched over with his face in his hands. He felt really bad about being so mean to Espio. He's never felt more shame and regret in his life. Here he was making a big deal about reptiles because of past experiences while Espio is getting along fine with hedgehogs despite his bad experience with one.

He just felt horrible inside for being such a jerk. Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked up and found out it was Silver. "Mind if I join you?" the light rodent asked. Shadow shook his head in response and Silver sat in the grass beside him.

"You really messed up, Shads." Silver told him. "I know. I shouldn't have judged him so fast. Now I feel so guilty." Shadow replied. Silver had never seen his friend so depressed before and was starting to feel sorry for him. "You think an apology-?" "No. He said he didn't want my apology. He hates me so much now." Shadow cut him off.

"I don't think he literally hates you. He just doesn't seem like that type. He was just mad. You know how Mobians say things they don't mean when they're angry. I got mad at him and said some things I didn't mean. I apologized, he apologized and now we're cool." (Chapters 21 & 22) Silver said.

"You can get along with anyone, Silver. Everyone likes you 'cause you have a good and cheerful spirit. You always wanna bring out the best in everybody. I'm dark and intimidating. Mobians would have a harder time trusting me." Shadow said before a sigh. "I don't think he'll trust me. I mean, he has every right not to." he said sadly.

"Try talking it over with him. I'm pretty sure he'll hear you out." albino told him. "Maybe... But then, what'll I do about Sonic?" Shadow asked. "Sonic?" Silver questioned. Then he remembered what Blaze said about both Knuckles and Shadow having a crush on Sonic (Chapter 9).

"What if I lost Sonic's trust too?" Shadow asked quietly. "Sonic knows you didn't mean what you said. He may have been surprised at your outburst but I'm sure he doesn't think of you any differently." Silver said with a smile. Shadow looked into the younger one's amber eyes.

"You really think so?" he asked. "I know so. Don't worry too much about Sonic, you've been friends with him for ten years plus. You should focus on making up with Espio." Silver replied. Shadow managed to crack a smile. "Okay, I'll try." he said. "If he doesn't forgive you now, I'm sure he'll forgive you later." Silver said.

Shadow's smile widened and he wrapped an arm around Silver in a half hug. "Thanks for making me feel better, buddy." he said. "Aw, Shads, no prob. It's what I'm best at." Silver replied with a grin. Ten more minutes had went by before Espio and Tails finally came back out of the cave. Rouge was the first who went over to the chameleon.

"Are you okay?" she asked in a gentle tone. His eyes were reddish and puffy which meant he'd been crying. "Yes. I'm fine." he replied quietly, not making eye contact. Tails looked about and saw Shadow. When he did he gave the rodent his darkest glare. Shadow wasn't at all intimidated.

Rouge looked around at her friends. "Is everyone ready to go now?" she asked. Everyone nodded in unison and they headed for the far away city, hoping to get there before dark. There was an awkward silence among the Mobians. No one said a word. Rouge led the group and would occasionally look back at her friends to check on them.

Sonic and Knuckles were about two feet behind her walking in a pair. Silver and Blaze were two feet behind them, also walking in a pair. Shadow was two feet behind them by himself. Espio and Tails were behind everyone by a painful six feet (social distancing XD). It was clear Espio still didn't want anything to do with Shadow.

Silver was never really good with silence, but this time he had absolutely no idea what to say. The sun was shining, the grass was green, the sky was blue. It felt like a weird transition from the freezing cold temperatures they had to endure, but the gang enjoyed the peaceful valleys.

Everything seemed bright and cheerful except for the awkward gloom hanging over the eight Mobians. Silver looked around at everyone. Nobody looked like they wanted to talk. They simply didn't look interested in conversation. Silver wanted to speak. He wanted to say something that would get some conversation going, but he knew it'd be too awkward.

So, reluctantly, he remained silent. In the back, Shadow had finally decided he would try and talk to Espio. He slowed down so that he'd be walking beside the chameleon and fox cub. Tails growled at him and clutched Espio's arm tighter. "What do you want?" he asked with a glare.

Shadow was slightly surprised by the fact that the 8-year old wasn't at all intimidated by him, despite being the shortest of them all while Shadow was like the second tallest. "I just came to apologize to your friend." he said. "Oh, you mean the 'unnamed lizard'? I don't think Espio wants to talk to you right now." Tails said.

"Well, I just want him to know that I-I'm... really sorry about what I said. I judged him too quickly and I just really screwed up." Shadow said. "Why should we trust you?! You made Espio cry! If I was big enough I'd knock your face off!" the fox yelled.

"Tails, calm down. I'm fine." Espio told him. Tails gave the ebony hedgehog another glare before turning his head away from him with a 'Hmph'. Espio reluctantly looked into the apologetic red eyes of the dark mammal. He saw nothing but shame and regret.

"Shadow, I... I'm sorry for yelling. I don't hate you and I forgive you." he finally said. Shadow's ears perked up at those words. "But, I don't trust you, at least not now. I'm sorry." Espio then said. "It's alright, I understand." Shadow said as he faced back in front of himself. Then he sighed sadly.

"I'm really sorry, Espio." he said once more before walking back to his spot behind Silver and Blaze. Espio was surprised when he heard the hedgehog call him by his name.

To be continued...

Shadow and Espio will learn to trust each other at some point I'm sure.

Stay tuned for more. Check out my other stories if you like. Buh-bye!