Chapter 30: RUN!

"What?! Scourge came over?!" Rouge asked with great shock. "Yes, and he wants Sonic!" Silver told them. "Are you sure?!" Blaze asked not wanting to believe it. "He said so with his own mouth. He came by looking for Sonic." Silver confirmed. "B-but why-?" Sonic tried asking but was cut off.

"He wants you for his own desires." Silver said with a hint of rage in his voice. He noticed the blue rodent starting to tremble in fear, so he went over and hugged him. "Don't worry, Sonic. We won't let him touch you. Shadow said he would make sure of that." he said in a soft voice.

"But what if h-he somehow gets me?" Sonic squeaked out. "He won't, not if we have anything to do with it." Knuckles said in a calming tone. "Wait, is Espio okay?!" Tails asked in a panic. Although the fox didn't understand exactly what Scourge did to Espio, he knew that the hedgehog hurt his reptilian brother in some way, and he didn't want it to happen again.

"He's fine, Tails." Silver told him. The fox cub breathed a sigh of relief. "So... what do we do? It's gonna be hard to celebrate Shadow's birthday knowing that Scourge is after me." Sonic said. Rouge sighed sadly. "Guys, I don't wanna have to do this, but we might have to leave." she said.

Literally everyone went wide-eyed. "Leave?! We can't just leave! We've finally found a home! Where we can eat and get clean and have fun and sleep! I don't wanna go back out there!" Tails protested. "None of us do." came Shadow's voice. Everyone turned to the base of the staircase leading into the basement. Both Shadow and Espio were there.

"But do we have much of a choice?" ebony asked. "We do have a choice!" Silver suddenly blurted out. Everyone remained silent. "We shouldn't let that guy drive us out. This is our house now! And if he wants Sonic then we'll fight to protect him.

Scourge may be faster than most of us, but we're a more powerful team. If we work together we can beat him. There are eight of us and just one of him. What chance does he have against us? I'm not running away from this fight. We should stand up and show him he can't push us around!" Silver said.

"Silver's right. We should put our abilities to the test and protect our friend!" Blaze agreed. She looked around at her friends. Her boyfriend's encouraging words brought out the confidence in everyone. "We won't go down without a fight!" Rouge exclaimed as she held out her fist.

Silver put his hand over hers. Blaze put her hand over his. Sonic put his hand over hers. Knuckles put his hand over his. Shadow walked over and put his hand over his. Tails reached up and put his hand over his. "Come on, Espio!" he called to the chameleon. Espio walked over unsure.

"But we're not exactly apart of your group. Isn't this something you-?" "You are now." Rouge cut him off and smiled. Silver could've sworn he saw the reptile's face turn a bit pink. Finally, Espio put his hand over Tails'. "Thanks for letting us join." Tails said to Rouge happily.

"No problem. May we stick together forever!" Rouge said. "Right!" everyone else said in unison. Eventually the decorations in the basement were finished and the birthday party began. However, no one could really enjoy it, despite trying their best to.

They just couldn't stop thinking about Scourge coming back. Sonic was possibly the most stressed of them all. He would stay very close to Knuckles or Shadow or Silver, whoever was available. As the day wore on the gang finally started to calm down a bit, seeing that Scourge hasn't yet shown his face.

Nighttime came around and Shadow's 18th birthday was coming to a close. It was close to midnight and Silver and co. where in the basement tidying up. "Sorry you couldn't enjoy your birthday, Shads. If only Scourge didn't exist." Silver said. Shadow sighed. "It's fine. Today was better than the other seventeen at least." he said with a small smile.