Chapter 26: Race To Home

Ten more long leg-aching minutes of walking. Rouge and Tails would sometimes fly to give their legs a break until they got tired of flying. At some point Silver even decided to use his telekinesis to lift everyone (including himself) temporarily. Now they were walking again.

Rouge looked up at the far away skyscrapers from the city. "Gosh, I didn't know that city was this far." she stated. "It's almost like it's running away from us or something." Silver said as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. "You guys wanna try running?" Sonic asked.

"I don't if my legs can take it." Blaze said absolutely exhausted. "I wouldn't mind a race. We can probably make it before the sun sets if we run." Tails said. The setting sun lit up the sky with a beautiful orange. "Tails' right. We wanna be somewhat close to the city before nightfall at least." Knuckles agreed.

Rouge stopped and turned around to face her friends. "Alright. Let's race. Whoever makes it to the city first, uh.......... gets the best treatment when we get there!" she said. "The best treatment?" Silver asked with a tilt of his head. "On your marks, get set, go!" Rouge quickly said as she turned and ran.

"Hey! No fair!" Silver whined as he took off after her. The others followed behind. Rouge was in the lead for a while, that was until Silver caught up. "You cheated! You got a head start!" he said playfully. "How else is a girl supposed to win?" Rouge asked him. Then suddenly Blaze sped off in front of them both.

"Meet you guys there!" she called. Rouge looked on dumbfounded. 'I thought her legs were tired...' she thought. "Woo hoo! Go Blaze!" Silver cheered. Espio and Shadow came up beside Rouge as well. Shadow was skating. "I skate better than I run." he said with a shrug.

Espio decided he'd pick up his pace and run at full speed. He dashed past Shadow, Silver and Rouge. "Wow! He's fast!" Silver noted. Shadow sped after him. "Looks like you're falling, Rouge." Silver said with a smirk. "Oh yeah? We'll see about that!" Rouge exclaimed.

"Woo!! This is the best!" Tails said as he also passed Rouge and Silver. "Are you getting old already, Rouge?" Silver teased. "What?! No way!" Rouge said as she tried to pick up the pace. Silver also picked up the pace and passed her. "Bye, Rouge!" he called as he caught up with Tails.

"Gosh dang it!" Rouge panted. As they kept running they got closer and closer to the city (well duh). Now it was fast approaching. Shadow and Blaze fought for the top spot. "I'm gonna make it first!" Blaze said. "Oh no you won't!" Shadow replied.

Suddenly, a loud sound was heard from behind and the ground shook a little. Out of nowhere a blue streak effortlessly dashed past everybody! Everyone was amazed but they kept running until finally they made it to the city's gate. Shadow made it first followed by Blaze, then Espio, then Silver and Tails, then Knuckles and finally Rouge.

Rouge collapsed to her knees once she got there and was panting very hard. "How.... on Mobius..... is Knuckles.... faster than me....?" she asked between pants. "Maybe you just weren't in it today." Blaze, who was also panting, replied. They all looked and noticed Sonic sitting in front of the gate, he was facing it and groaning.

He also had his hands on his face. Silver went over to him. "Sonic, you okay buddy?" he asked. "Yep. I-I'm fine. I just couldn't stop." Sonic replied. "That was you who made that sound?!" Blaze asked. "And made that blue streak?!" Knuckles added. "Yes." Sonic replied.

"That's so awesome!!" Tails blurted out. "I didn't know you were that fast!" he added. Sonic stood up and rubbed the back of his neck. "I still can't really control my legs." he said with a bit of a blush. Knuckles gave him a pat on the shoulder. "It's okay, buddy. You did good." he said with a smile.

Sonic blushed even more and giggled. "Thanks, Knux." he said. Now it was Shadow's turn to be jealous. Espio had been looking at the city and examining it when suddenly he remembered something. "Guys..." he said. Everyone looked at him. "What's up, Espio?" Tails asked.

"This city is-" "What're ya kids doin' out 'ere?" a sudden voice cut him off. Everyone turned to the gate and saw a dark grey Komodo dragon on the other side. His bright yellow eyes were obvious against his grey background. "We come in peace!" Silver blurted out with his hands up.

"What?" the dragon asked, head tilted. Rouge went a little closer to the gate. "Sir, we've been out here in the wilderness for several days. We're tired, hungry and dirty and we came to this city to hopefully find refuge." she explained politely. The large reptile eyed every one of them carefully.

"Well... ya'll don't look like trouble." he admitted. He opened the gate a little and came out. "Where're ya from?" he asked. "We escaped a horrible place, sir." Rouge said. "There anyone in charge 'ere?" he asked again. "That would be me, sir." Rouge replied. "Figures." he said.

He then gave the teenagers a smile. "Welcome to Amber City. Please, come in. I'll help ya find a good place t'stay." he said as he opened the gate more and stepped aside for them. "Thank you very much, sir." Rouge said with a bow. "Yeah! Thanks, mister!" Tails said happily.

"Please, call me Draco." the dragon said with a toothy grin. After all the kids went through the gate, Draco closed it and led them through the city to the place he had for them. Although everyone kept their cool, they still remained vigilant and aware, just in case anything happened.

Soon they had made it their new place. A big and beautiful four-story house. Draco opened the front door and stepped aside. The gang and duo went in and were all amazed. "Welcome to yer new home, t'least if ya wan' it t'be." Draco said. "You'll really just let us live here?!" Silver asked.

"F'course. T'wouldn't be right t'send ya'll back out there. Unless ya'll wan' yer own 'ouse." the big lizard responded. "Are own house?" Blaze repeated. "Yes. This one of my 'ouses. But if ya wan' I can 'ave my friends build a nice 'ouse fer ya kids." he offered.

"That's so kind of you. Thank you so much." Rouge thanked gratefully. "So this is only one of your houses?" Sonic asked. "Yes. If ya'll wanna stay ya can 'ave it." Draco told them. They all widened their eyes in surprise. "You'll just give it to us for free?!" Silver was stunned.

"Sure. So what 'd ya say?" Draco asked. "Yes, please! I wanna stay here forever!" Tails exclaimed. "S'that what ya'll want?" dark grey asked. "I-if you don't mind." Rouge said. "Course I don't. Here." He tossed the keys to Rouge. "'Tis yours now. I'll pay for it for ya. You enjoy yerselves." he said with a smile and left the kids with their new home.

"I can't believe he was so nice! This place is awesome!" Tails exclaimed. "We should still be on the lookout. He is a stranger after all." Shadow said in a serious tone. "Well, until he does something dangerous I'm gonna get myself cleaned up. I bet there are at least four bathrooms in this place and I've been dying to take a shower." Silver said.

"Hey! I won the race, that means I get the best treatment. Me first!" Sonic said as raced upstairs to find the first bathroom. "Hey, wait!" Silver said as he went after him. That was when everyone except Shadow raced for the bathrooms.

To be continued...

They've got a home! Finally!

Stay tuned for more. Check out my other stories if you like. Buh-bye!