Chapter 27

Sonic had his back against the kitchen counter, eating the chili dog he had prepared. He looked to his left and out the window. Soon I'll be back out there. He smiled, taking another bite out of the spicy hot dog and held to the edge of the counter with his free hand.

Shadow walked in, quietly, and looked at Sonic's back. It was weird to see the blue hedgehog up and walking around with his plastered leg, using various objects as a support. Shadow couldn't help but think that the blue hedgehog would hurt himself again by doing this. The ebony hedgehog shook his head. He needs to walk around... But I can't help but think it'd be safer for him to stay in bed for the next couple of days.

Sonic turned around, licking the sauce off of his fingers. He caught sight of the ebony hedgehog standing by the door and grinned.

"What's up Shads?"

"Should you really be doing things by yourself? You're not worried you could cause greater harm to your leg?" Shadow asked in response, staying where he was.

Sonic let the smile on his face hide the small surprise that had taken him back by the questions. He simply shrugged his shoulders. "I need the fresh exercise after being in that bed for quite some time. I thought you'd be happy that I don't really need you with 24/7."

Shadow's ears perked up as he grunted. I don't need to look after him anymore. That means I don't really have to be here. But... Where would I really go? What would I do? Shadow stayed quiet as Sonic stared at him with confusion. Shadow realized just how empty he had felt before having to be with the azure hedgehog for so many weeks. He had realized just how much he enjoyed company with the blue hero. What could he do now that the blue hedgehog was almost fully back on his feet?

"Hey Shads? You okay buddy?" Sonic asked, limping towards the ebony hedgehog.

"I'm fine." Shadow responded, taking a step away from the blue hedgehog.

Sonic stopped and leaned against the wall, seemingly surprised at the ebony hedgehog's actions.

"Are you sure?" This time, there was a tone of concern in Sonic voice as he asked Shadow the question once again.

"Positive." Shadow simply said. He turned away from Sonic and muttered. "Well, since you're able to look after yourself, you don't need me anymore." He started towards the door, leaving Sonic's sight.

But as he put his hand on the door knob, he stopped and looked behind his shoulder. He rarely ever stopped to look back, he, also, rarely hesitated and yet, he found himself doing both of these things. Why can't I just go, like I always do? What am I still doing here? He looked back at the door knob and turned it slightly.

"Wait!" He heard Sonic call out behind him. The ebony hedgehog turned around and crossed his arms.

"What?"

"Well... You don't have to leave? I'm still hanging around the house and it's extremely boring without company as I've said many times before." Sonic explained, putting a hand on a wall and leaning against it." And, you know, I might take your advice and rest in bed a little more."

Shadow pondered, already knowing his answer. He went away from the door and went into the living room.

He found the blank book he had given to Sonic, lying open on the table. An illustration on a page. He picked the book up and took a closer look.

The illustrated depicted a two-tailed fox propelling its tails like helicopter blades and flying in the air, a happy smile on its face and gesturing a thumbs up. On top of the page, in print writing, was the word 'Tails'.

"Don't tell him, it's supposed to be a surprise for his birthday." Sonic muttered behind the ebony hedgehog.

"When is his birthday?"

"Today, that's why I was standing up."

"You were eating a chili dog." Shadow stated, placing the book back onto the table and turning to look at the blue hedgehog.

Sonic chuckled. "All part of the plan. I'm kind of glad you showed up, I wasn't going to be able to set things up alone."

Sonic smiled as he watched Shadow finish putting streamers across the room. Shadow glanced at him before turning his attention to the door.

As if on cue, the door opened.

"Happy Birthday!" Sonic yelled happily. Tails ran to Sonic, jumping into a hug. The blue hedgehog fell onto the couch and laughed.

Shadow tried to walk away from them, moving further into the kitchen.

"Shadow!" Tails called out.

Shadow turned around and found the kitsune walking to him, a smile on his face.

"Thanks!" Tails nodded.

The ebony hedgehog simply nodded, turning away from him once again.

"Where are you going?" Tails asked with slight confusion.

"I think it would be best if you two celebrated alone." Shadow replied, walking to the back door.

"You can be a part of this too, Shadow. We won't leave you out." Tails smiled.

"Happy Birthday." Was all Shadow said as he left the house without turning back.

He stood not too far away from the house. He watched as the sun went down and all the street lights turned on as the sky became dark. He wasn't too sure of what to do. He knew Sonic would mind him coming around, but he couldn't quite understand why he couldn't get the blue hedgehog off of his mind.

It wasn't too long before everything would be like it was before or, at least, that's what Shadow hoped. Things had changed through these weeks, however. Relationships were built and he just... Couldn't see the use in fighting the blue hero, there was wasn't any satisfaction.

He caught a glimpse of pink as he turned around to look at the house.

She put a hand on his shoulder and he quickly turned back around, prepared for a fight.

But that wasn't why she was here.

"What do you want?" Shadow asked the pink hedgehog dully, lowering his battle stance slightly.

"I went out of hand... Way out of hand." Amy muttered silently as she looked at the paved footpath. She had her hands behind her back and she had her head down, not looking at him.

"I shouldn't have acted so rash." She looked up slightly and then back down as if too afraid to look at him eye to eye. "I didn't want to hurt anybody. And I understand if you don't forgive me. I'm sorry for what I did."

"Don't apologize to me." Shadow darkly muttered.

Amy looked up, a silently scared look in her green eyes as she looked at him with a small amount of confusion.

"If anyone deserves an apology, it's Sonic."

Amy just continued to stare at him, as if not understanding his words.

And Tails, but I don't think I'll mention that.

Without waiting for her to say anything else, he stepped around her and down the footpath. Away from Sonic's house, wondering if he would met the blue hedgehog the next day or the day after that.

   ~~~

Votes and Comments, please. :)