Chapter 31

The two hedgehogs sat on the living room couch, staring at the wall. The blue one seemed anxious, tapping a foot on the polished wooden floor as if waiting for something to happen. The ebony one just sat calmly, watching the blue one's actions.

Sonic's eyes to and from Shadow as if wanting to say something but thinking otherwise. "Hey... Um... Shadow..."

"Yes?" Shadow side-glanced to see the nervous hero fiddle around with his fingers.

"You know you don't actually have to look after me anymore. I've got another six days left until the cast comes off and I'm pretty sure I'll survive those 6 days alone." Sonic explained, looking away from Shadow. "So, you can go off and do something else."

"I have no other place to be." Shadow dully stated, crossing his arms. "But if you wish for me to leave you be, then so be it." He was about to stand up when Sonic quickly replied.

"No! No! I was just saying..." Sonic sighed with frustration. "Ugh, fine. Shadow." The blue hedgehog looked up at Shadow, who had turned to face him. "After this, everything's going to be normal, isn't it?"

Shadow gave a small nod.

Sonic sighed again, but this time in sadness. "I guessed... That would happen." The azure hero then shone the ebony hedgehog a smile. "But I liked the little change, even if my lil' bro was the cause of it."

Shadow continued to stand, looking at the front door, contemplating whether to just leave or not. It was something like this he feared ever feeling. This hesitation, this enjoyment of the blue hedgehog's company... he didn't ever want it to happen. It frustrated him how complex emotions and feelings really were. He wanted nothing to do with them... Or at least he thought.

"I think I'll go to Amy's. I want to check up to see how Tails is doing." Sonic explained, on his way to get up.

An idea that had been on Shadow's mind came back once again and this time, he decided to follow on with it, "Wait a minute Sonic. There's one thing I want to try out." He went over to Sonic, picked him up in a bridal fashion and headed to the hero's room.

"I'm not even going to question what's going on here." Sonic chuckled as the ebony hedgehog laid him on the bed.

"It's nothing suggestive." Shadow replied, rolling his eyes. He took out the Chaos Emerald he had in his possession. "I've just been thinking. Perhaps, with a small amount of Chaos Energy, it might fasten up the healing process and instead of waiting another 6 days till the cast has to come off, you can take the cast off today and fully use your leg by tomorrow. Of course, it's just a theory."

Sonic gave Shadow a look of disbelief. "And you decide to tell me this theory now?!"

"I was not going to waste my time on looking for any of the other Chaos Emeralds if it wouldn't work and so I waited till your leg was almost healed." Shadow hissed in reply and then smirked. "Of course, I could just leave the cast on and walk away. I mean, you did say I could leave whenever I wanted to."

Sonic smiled with a laugh. "Oh I see. How about we make a... promise? I don't ever question your logic and you just do what you theorized."

"You're logic is questionable." Shadow dully said. "Fine. I'll go and look for something in Tails' workshop to get that cast off of you."

Sonic, nervously, watched Shadow walk out of the room. The blue hedgehog put on a forced smile. "I should be happy. I'm finally getting out of this cast." And yet, even as he said it, his smile faltered and he shook his head. ... But I'm not...