Chapter 28

He found himself walking back to the cobalt blue hedgehog's house. Out of habit or curiosity, he had no clue. He had been wandering around the small town for a couple of hours before he decided to go back to Sonic's, without even thinking about it.

He had wondered if Amy had gone to Sonic's to apologize, hoped she hadn't done anything else. He went around the house and looked through Sonic's window, finding the blue hedgehog staring out of it, completely awake.

As soon as he saw Shadow, he appeared to gasp with surprise but quickly calmed down. He moved his mouth, trying to communicate to the ebony hedgehog.

All Shadow needed to know was that Sonic was awake before Chaos Controlling into the room. He appeared in front of the blue hedgehog and looked down at him.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that." He muttered with Sonic chuckling in response.

"Don't worry. So, what brings you back?"

"Did Amy come?" Shadow asked with a small hint of curiosity.

Sonic's eyes widened. "Yeah, how did you know?"

"I told her to apologize to you."

"Oh, she seemed rather quiet... Very unlike her usual self." Sonic commented as he yawned.

"Why aren't you asleep?" Shadow asked, sitting on the edge of the bed, shading Sonic from the moonlight and looking at his bright green eyes.

"I... Couldn't..." Sonic quietly muttered, closing his eyes, avoiding Shadow's ruby red stare.

Shadow stroked through Sonic's quills softly and leaned near the blue hedgehog's ear. "Do you want me to stay and help you?" He purred into his ear, using his other hands to stroke behind it.

Sonic grinned. "If you don't mind."

"I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise." Shadow watched Sonic move back to let the ebony hedgehog lie down and Shadow did so, facing the blue hedgehog.

Shadow could only imagine the smile on Sonic's face as the blue hedgehog wrapped his arms around the ebony hedgehog's waist. Sonic pulled the ebony hedgehog close to him, rubbing his head into Shadow's chest, breathing slowly.

Shadow felt the warm breathing on his fur as he watched the azure hedgehog. It was oddly comfortable, lying there with the blue hero on him.

"Do you think you can get to sleep now?" Shadow asked quietly into Sonic's ear.

There was no response to his question, instead, Sonic nuzzled him and became still. The only sign he was alive was by the rising and falling of his chest.

Shadow rolled his eyes, expecting nothing less from the blue hero. He looked around the room and couldn't shake the feeling of someone watching them.

There was a faint knocking on the window and Shadow turned to look at it.

"Shadow, you've gotta come on this mission. G.U.N's orders." Rouge whispered from the window, looking at the ebony hedgehog with urgency.

Sighing slightly, he took the blue hedgehog off of him gently as to not disturb him and Chaos Controlled out of the room, next to Rouge.

"We have to go to the briefing, sorry for the late notice, you did seem kind of busy." Rouge winked to the ebony hedgehog as they left the area of the house.

Shadow didn't reply. He just hoped Sonic was going to stay safe while he was gone.

He had noticed. He had heard. And he was worried.