Chapter 30

"Is it really such a surprise?" Sonic asked Shadow, who was sitting at the end of the bed. The blue hedgehog put his head down and shook his head. "I should have taken the guess straight away! Of course it'd be Eggman."

Shadow simply grunted. "I believe he only did it to grab your attention, doing it secretly because he also knew you had broken your leg."

"Well, I'm surprised he hadn't done something earlier!" Sonic punched the area of the bed beside him and sighed.

"Calm down Sonic."

Sonic laughed, unclenching his fist. "Right, yeah. Because I could totally attack Eggman with a somewhat broken leg... It's probably more bruised than anything."

Shadow stood up and turned to face the blue hero. "I have a few words to speak with the Doctor."

Sonic nodded and smiled. "I would say 'be careful', but since you're the Ultimate Lifeform I highly doubt that would make a difference." But through the concerned look in Sonic's eyes, Shadow knew Sonic wanted him to be careful.

The ebony hedgehog gave the blue hero a small nod before teleporting out of the house.

Getting into the base was no problem, Eggman's defenses were hardly a challenge. He found the Doctor sitting in the center of the base, he didn't appear to be worried in the slightest.

"Out of anyone I thought would break in here, I wouldn't think it'd be you, Shadow." Eggman said as Shadow walked towards him.

Shadow stopped walking. "Is there a reason as to why you got the fox so badly injured apart from trying to get the attention of his best friend?"

"I didn't think you'd care." Eggman continued to face away from the ebony hedgehog, making no attempt to turn around and face him.

"You went to the extreme just to see if the rumors were true." Shadow explained, crossing his arms over his chest. "Did you really intend for the fox to be so badly hurt?"

"Do you really believe I'd just give the answers out straight?"

Shadow grunted, annoyed at the Doctors actions. He teleported behind Eggman and turned his back to him. "Answer, or else. Your robots are hardly a challenge, I doubt you'd stand a chance."

Eggman quickly turned around as if suddenly worried. "The last I heard of you, you were hanging out with him, why the sudden change of heart Shadow?"

"I am asking the questions." Shadow replied darkly. "Did you only do that to try and get his attention?"

Eggman didn't reply, simply chuckling as he turned back around and ordered a pack of robots to his aid.

Not getting any answers out of him, Shadow thought, teleporting out of the base and to a safe location nearby. He sighed, shaking his head. It's either he's planning something for Sonic or he just wanted to get his attention and see if he'd do any rash actions.

Upon entering the house, he found the blue hedgehog standing over the oven. Sonic turned to look at him as he entered and smiled.

"Hey Shads, how did it go?"

"As expected."

Sonic hummed with a shrug, turning his attention back to the oven.

"What are you doing?" The ebony hedgehog asked with slight confusion.

"Making myself something to eat." Sonic simply replied and laughed. "What do you think I'd be doing with the oven?"

Shadow didn't reply as he stood near the fridge. He acts as if this is all normal. His best friend got seriously hurt yesterday and today, he acts as if it never happened.