Chapter 3

I woke up with a little more hope in me than

usual. Looking over at my phone, I smile with glee as I see the message pop up on my screen.

"Good morning, Luka!" It read.

I opened up my phone to respond and saw

myself just staring at the screen, not typing. I was happy. I finally had a friend who wanted to text me. I finally had someone who wouldn't make fun of me or run from me. What if she was faking it, though?

I shook my head to rid of the thoughts and

responded with "Good morning! I'll see you in class."

I put my phone in my pocket and run

downstairs, making sure my sister was awake for school and grabbing my stuff. My sister sees me and jumps onto my back scaring me, but I am able to keep her on my back for a good ten seconds before I start to lose balance. I set her down and I grab my car keys and my phone buzzes. I look at my phone and it's Ava I smile.

"Mom! Luka has a crush!" my sister says in her annoying voice and laughs.

"I do not! I have a friend!" I shout to my mom as she walks downstairs.

"That's awesome sweetie," my mom says smiling and ruffling her hands through my head.

"Mom where's dad?" I ask her

"He's working," she says, pouring her coffee. She was using the same mug that I'd given her when I was younger.

"He's always working," I say as I walk out the door, "bye Nel!" I shout as I shut the door. I walk down my driveway and get into my car and start it, I look out the window and see my sister looking at me through the front window smiling her big smile.

"Have a good Friday :)," I read the text from my sister

"You too Nel," I reply back. I pull out and start driving to school as soon as I get there Kevin and his group of friends are goofing off at the student parking lot. I roll my eyes as I turn off my car, grab my bag and walk towards the school.

"Hey Kevin look! It's the school psycho!" one of his friends says laughing as they point to me, I pull my sweatshirt sleeves down to my knuckles and walk faster. Kevin runs up to me, grabs my bag, and lifts it in the air. Kevin is at least five inches taller than me so even I struggle to grab my bag back. He starts to slowly unzip it and then all my stuff spreads across the ground, I run to grab my papers as they blow away but Kevin puts his arm in front of me and I fly backwards, I bite into my lip as I land, causing my lip to bust open and start bleeding. Kevin laughs,

"You're such a loser Luka!" he says laughing as he drops my bag onto me and running off to his friends. I slowly get up and then I grab my things. I stuff everything into my backpack as quickly as possible. I put my final piece of paper in my bag as the five minute bell rings, I run inside but the hall monitor stops me.

"Now what happened this time?" he asks me,

"I-" I stop I look over at Kevin who is cracking his knuckles to show that he'll beat me up if I tell the hall monitor what really happened, "I tripped and fell," I say as Kevin and his friends laugh

"Alright, now go to class before you're late," He tells me. I look over and realize Kevin is gone, I walk to my class as the bell for class to goes off. I run to my first period, which I'm hoping she hasn't shut the door yet. I run faster when I realize how late I will be, and I get to the room.

"Great its fucking shut," I think to myself. I knock on the door and I hear footsteps walk towards the door. The door opens and it's Jamie May, my former best friend. She smiles at me and stops when she sees my lip. She lets me walk through and I walk to the back of the room as everyone laughs at me. I sit down and place my head in my arms.

"Sit up, the teacher will yell at you!" Jamie whispers, laughing.

"Do I look like I care?" I mumble in my arms.

"Sit up!" she says, she grabs my sleeves and before she starts to shake me I get up.

"What the hell Jamie!" I yell standing up. I pull down my sleeves, and walk out of the classroom and head to the counselors office.