Chapter 4

I open the door I walk up to the receptionist, out of breath I tell her

"I need to see the counselor right now," the receptionist looks at me for a second to process the situation

"I'm sorry she's with someone right now," she tells me

"Who could possibly be in her office this early in the morning?" I yell

"That's none of your business Luka. Please sit down and I'll let her know you're here,"

"Fine!" I say as I drop my body onto the chair. I pull out my phone and check my texts. Nothing. Suddenly I get a message from an unsaved number.

"Never speaking to you again!" it reads

"Who's this?" I reply. They read the message but don't reply. I lay my head against the wall. I stop to think about what to send Ava. I shake my head and just go with a simple

"Hey, how's it going?" I sit there and wait for a response but nothing. "Maybe she likes to pay attention in class," I think to myself. I stand up and start pacing

"Luka please sit down," the receptionist says to me. I sit back down looking at my phone. Still no response, from either person. I look at the receptionist and then the floor. Time seems to be moving slower than ever. I sigh and look up at the clock. Then back at the floor. I roll my sleeves past my hands, cover my face with my hands and my eyes start to water. I sit there, letting the tears stream down as what was really a few minutes felt like an eternity. I heard the door creak open and wiped my face. I look at the ground, and wait for the counselor to call me in. I look at the feet of the people. I recognize the other person's shoes. It can't be her. I can't look. I refuse.

"Why is he here?" the counselor asks. I watch the feet slowly walk to the exit of the office.

"I don't know he came in very upset though so I assume it's important,"

"Okay Luka you can come in," she says.

"Thanks," I say as I get up and walk towards her office. I try my best to remain calm. I walk in and she shuts the door. I pull my sleeves as far as they'll go.

"So what's going on Luka?" she asks looking at me, "does your teacher know you're here?" she asks me with a serious voice.

"I think so," I say looking at the floor.

"Let me call down," she says, grabbing her phone. I nod to acknowledge her statement. I continue to look down at the ground. I sit waiting for the phone call to be over, I zone out half way through the call.

"Luka.....Luka.....Luka!" the counselor yells.

"Sorry I zoned out," I say looking at the ground.

"Now Luka, please explain to me why you're here," she tells me in a firm voice, "your teacher said that you just stormed out of the room so I need to understand why," my eyes start to water as I look up at the counselor.

"Someone almost saw my scars," I tell her.

"Which ones?" she asks me. I pull up my sleeves for the first time since I stopped, and a tear drops down onto my arm.

"I understand, and who almost saw them?"

"Jamie May," I tell her. 

"Alright I'm going to call her down so you can explain yourself ok?" she tells me. I nod and look back at the ground, and I pull down my sleeves to cover my hand.