Chapter 13

I sat in class, once again stuck in my thoughts. It was Friday and I’ve already finished all my work for my classes so I didn’t need to worry about that. I’d thought about what had happened Monday night. I’d thought about how Ava was comfortable sleeping in my bed into Tuesday, a school day. 

Her body, although small, was super warm and perfect. She fit right into my arms as we made out and then as we drifted off to sleep together. It was like heaven being with her. 

Ava’s so nice and caring, I felt like a better person just standing next to her. Her glowing smile and beautiful brown eyes always made my day. I don’t think I can go one day without her sending me a goodmorning text or asking me how I was when she walked into class and saw me. For once in my life, it felt like I had something to look forward to at school. 

The bell rang to dismiss us from class and leave since it was the end of the day, bringing me out of my fantasies with a huge smile on my face. I was excited. Ava’s party wasn’t only going to be fun, it was going to be spectacular! 

I walked down the hallways with my head up in the clouds. I was lucky I knew where I was going in the first place or I’d trip about a hundred times. I stuffed my stuff inside my bag and walked towards the exit of the school to hop in my car and leave. I saw Kevin at the door, though, seemingly waiting for someone, which made me not want to go towards it. I knew he was up to something. 

I sighed and continued walking. That’s where my car was, I couldn’t avoid Kevin since he was in front of the door I needed to go through. To my surprise, though he didn’t walk up to me or talk to me as I approached. He may have been waiting for someone else but I still find it suspicious he was standing there.

I reached for the door, pushing it open and letting out a sigh of relief. I was immediately put back into panic, though, because when I tried to walk through the door, I was tripped by something. I fell on my arm again, but luckily this time it didn’t hurt.

“Fuck off, man.” I said as I heard Kevin’s laughter.

“Why should I?” He asked. “Seeing you in pain makes my day! Plus, you got me in trouble, I need to get payback somehow.” He continued laughing as I pushed myself up off the ground. I had a feeling his ‘payback’ wasn’t done yet, so I had to be very careful about what I did.

I brushed myself off and continued to walk to my car, noticing Kelvin’s laughter die down as the door closed. I couldn’t believe him, he was always such a jerk. I had given him no reason to be, so I wondered why he was this way. I drive my way home and run up to my room excited, not letting Kevin get to my head.

I brought out all the clothes my mom and I bought together, trying them all on to see what I wanted to wear. I tried on various combinations to see what I liked together. I even brushed my hair and put it in different styles to see if it would look good in the clothes I was wearing. As I took my shirt off to put on another one, I heard my door open. I look over to see and it was Nellie.

“Oh my god,” she says, face all red. “I’m so sorry! I’ll let you change!”

I chuckle and slide on the shirt I had just taken off. “It’s okay, Nel, I’m just trying on clothes for tomorrow. I’ve already decided on these jeans.” I point down at the pair of jeans I was wearing. 

Nellie sighed, relieved she wasn’t barging in on anything she shouldn’t be seeing. “I was wondering about the party,” She told me. “What’s it going to be like? How many people are going to be there? Who invited you and do they intend to hurt you?”

I chuckled as I looked at Nellie’s serious face when she asked the questions. I sat down on my bed and patted for her to sit down next to me. I rustled her hair as she sat down and replied, “Well, it’s going to be loud. It’s high school so there’s no doubt people are going to be doing stupid things like drugs and alcohol, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

Her face turned red and she looked away. “Actually,” she started.

“Nel, it’s high school.” I told her. “No doubt people will be doing the ‘forbidden’, too. I won’t be, don’t worry.” I rustled her hair again. She hated the words and phrases that were around to refer to intercourse. It always made her embarrassed to hear or say, so I started calling it the ‘forbidden’ when she learned what it was. “There’s going to be a lot of people there. People from every grade we’re invited!”

“Seriously?!” She was shocked to hear that there was going to be four grades of people coming. “How will they all fit in the house? Surely it’s not THAT big!”

I chuckled again. Nellie was full of curiosity. “I’m sure some people will be jamming outside,” I told her. “And, as for who invited me, it was Ava. I know she’d never hurt me.”

Her eyes glowed all bright as soon as I said Ava. “Ava’s awesome!” She said. “I like her, she’s definitely a keeper. You’re going to date her, right?”

My face went red. “Alright, Nel, why don’t you go downstairs and get a snack.” I said. “I’ve gotta keep looking for things to wear.”

“But I’m not hungry!”

I pushed Nellie out of my room, making sure to lock my door. She started banging on my door. “Come on, Luka!” 

I sighed as I thought about that. Me and Ava? Sure I liked her like that, but I doubt she liked me back. Regardless of whether she cuddled with me and slept in my bed or not, she couldn’t possibly like me either way.