Chapter 7

My clothes were completely ripped up. Damn, I never thought things would get worse from yesterday. I knew people hated me but I never thought things would get this far. I never thought that things would get past everyone avoiding me.

I slowly tried to stand up but collapsed down to my knees, holding my gut, which now had blood streaming down, soaking my clothes around the wound it came from. Dammit. I thought. I started having more and more trouble breathing and felt suddenly... super weak. Like I couldn't even hold my eyes open.

My arm that held me up as I held where the wound was collapsed and I saw myself falling to the ground. I took a deep breath, laying there, unable to do anything because I was so bangged up. Kevin and his crew of jerks jumped me. I couldn't believe I just let it happen. As I let out my final cough of pain, I looked over at the group that walked away when everything suddenly went dark.

The next thing I knew, I was in a white room with bandages wrapped all over me. I jolted up when I suddenly remembered everything that happened. I was walking through the park, as I always do when I'm stressed, and Kevin and his crew came out of nowhere and beat me up. I was in pain and tried to get up before Kevin argued with his friend and stabbed me. I heard him say something, though, as he lunged at me. It was almost like an apology.

I slowly lied back down as the pain came to me. "Are you okay?" A small, familiar voice asked besides me. I look over and see Ava sitting in the chair next to the hospital bed reading a book.

"Ye-" I cough. It hurt to talk. I nod my head and smile.

Ava smiled back, seemingly relieved. "You should get some rest, the doctors will be back later to give you lunch, okay?

I nod at her and close my eyes. I couldn't sleep, though. I wanted an answer, but how could I ask if I couldn't talk? I opened my eyes again and slowly turned my head over to look at Ava. She looked so pretty as I admired her reading the book she held in her hands and gazed at, always amazed about what happens and excited about what comes next. I put on a slight smile as she smiled at the pages she saw before her. That smile slowly faded, though.

"A." I spit out in a raspy voice. "Okay?"

She looked up from her book and over at me. "Oh," She folded the corner of the page to keep track of where she left off and put the book down on the ground next to her feet. "Yeah, I'm just worried about you. I know you'll make it through, but I can't help but think the worst."

"Oh..." I said. I coughed again. I needed to stop talking.

A few seconds go by where me and Ava are just staring at each other before a young guy walks in the room. He was fairly attractive. Just one glance at this guy and I thought, "wow". I didn't know who he was though. Why was he in my room?

Ava looked over at him and sighed. "Already?" She asked. "You've gotta be kidding me."

"You were here all night, Ava!" The attractive guy said. "Plus, what do you even see in this guy? There are so many other better people out there, girly."

"You don't know him!" Ava snapped back. "And, he's injured, too. You'd do the same, brother."

Brother?! I thought. They didn't look at all like they were related. Ava was blond, he was brunette. Ava had brown eyes, his were blue. Ava had a face of freckles while this guy's face didn't have a freckle in sight. I watched as the two fought about whether Ava was leaving or not. They surely acted as if they were siblings but he was more aggressive than Ava was and would ever be.

I stared on as the two started to calm down and Ava looked back over to me. "I'm sorry, Luka." She said. "This is my big brother, Ponyboy. He has come to pick me up. My dad wants me home. He's overly worried because I'm with a guy around my age."

I sighed and nodded. They both said goodbye and I watched them walk out the door and leave. A nurse walked in with a tray of food. It wasn't a lot, though. Just an apple, ham sandwich, and orange juice. Slowly sitting up, I munched down on the apple as I drifted away in my thoughts again.