viii. falling

EIGHTfalling

EIGHT
falling

━━━━━━━━━━

The last thing Octavia expected to happen, was her waking up at four in the morning to a bunch of noises coming from the middle floor. She knows both of her parents have already left for work... because that's what they do. And Lucas told her that he was going to be staying over at the school with Scooter that night after the dinner. So Octavia, being Octavia, tiptoed into her brother's room (which smelled exactly like it looked— a dump) and grabbed a baseball bat.

Her thought process however was— "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die."

She held it in a tight grip above her shoulder as she crept down the stairs towards the front door— where she heard the most recent noise, ready to nail anyone in front of her. She slowly turned the corner to see a large figure, hunched over looking through a large bag. Octavia took a step forward, creating a creaking noise on the hardwood floor.

"Of fucking course," she thinks. Just like in a stupid horror movie, she's gonna die because the one time she needs to not make any noise, the floor decides that it'll be broken for the day.

The figure, however, didn't have the reaction she expected. Instead of turning and straight up attacking her, they turned and jumped at the sight of her. "Jesus, Octavia! Don't sneak up on a person like that."

"Lucas?" Octavia squinted her eyes and finally adjusted enough to be able to see the boy clearly. "What are you doing here? You said you were spending the night at the dorms." Then she got a better look at the bag he was going through, it was his hockey gear? "And why are you going through your hockey gear?"

Lucas seemed to be at a loss for words— no more than usual really. "I-I, uh," he kept stuttering over his words, making Octavia more and more frustrated. She set down the bat she was still holding and folded her arms. Octavia then proceeded to give him the look she always gave him when she needed him to tell her something.

"I didn't want to have to say this, but you had better tell me or else I will tell mom about the time that I walked in on you and—"

"—okay!" Octavia rose her eyebrows, waiting for his explanation. "Look, you can't tell anyone, but we're doing a little jv versus varsity scrimmage-game-thing. It happened after this little fight during dinner and kinda turned into this."

Octavia didn't know what to think in that moment. Not only was her brother and his entire team (including Adam apparently) being stupid, but so was the junior varsity team. She always thought that, despite being younger than them, the junior varsity team was slightly more mature than the other, but clearly she was wrong. Because with these events that seem to be playing out, Octavia's not so sure she even goes to a private school anymore, they keep acting like what she remembers from public.