xii. lost and found

TWELVElost and found

TWELVE
lost and found

━━━━━━━━━━

The day after the funeral, Octavia finally started to feel better. Her smiles finally became genuine, her laugh was light-hearted, and her face was dry from the lack of tears covering her face. Her parents took a few days off of work so they could spend some time as a family in the time of need. It was nice, and something that Octavia really needed. Though she mostly just slept until noon— because she stayed up until three in the morning on most nights, their afternoons were spent having family meals or playing card games. Their favorite thing to do was play poker, specifically Texas Holdem.

But after those few days, the family knew that they couldn't just stay holed up in their house forever. Meaning that Octavia and Lucas returned to school the Monday after the dreadful chain of events. And even when Octavia said he didn't have to, Lucas swore that he would be by her side. That at this point, he didn't give two shits about social status or his reputation, all he cared about was that his sister was going to be okay.

But even though he says that, doesn't mean he'll be able to, and Octavia knows that. Their classes are on opposite ends of the school, meaning that the only times they'd even be able to see each other were during lunch and after school during hockey practice.

And even though Octavia still had Jenny and Shelly, the only class they shared was French III— because they were three of the twenty people that continued with the class. All this meant was that she had no one to protect her from what was going to happen.

The moment that she walked into her trig class, and sat down in her seat, he tried to get her attention. Throughout the entire class time, she felt taps on her shoulders and little "Octavia" whispers.

She hated it. She hated that he wouldn't stop. She hated that he had so much determination that her ignoring him did nothing. She hated that she wasn't able to switch classes and to not be in the same room as him— or even switch seats to be farther away from him.

But most of all, she hated herself. She hated that she didn't want him to stop. She hated that she didn't want to ignore him. She hated that she had to resist the urge to turn around just so she can look into those piercing blue eyes just one more time.

But she wasn't going to. She can't. Looking into those stupid eyes would just add to the mountain of hurt that won't stop growing. Hearing his voice did enough damage. Her mood was already starting to lighten up and she didn't want it to change.

When the bell rang, Octavia didn't think she'd ever gotten out of a seat and rushed out of class faster. She already had everything in her bag and thought that she would've been able to leave him behind— but luck just didn't seem to be on her side. Because not five seconds after leaving the classroom, she was pulled into another empty one. The second that it happened, she knew for a fact that it was Adam.