xiv. courtroom adjourned

FOURTEENcourtroom adjourned

FOURTEEN
courtroom adjourned

━━━━━━━━━━

Octavia stood towards the back of a boardroom that was overcrowded with hockey players, their parents, and old ass alumnus that couldn't let go of the years when they felt like they actually meant anything sitting at a long table. To be frank, she would rather be anywhere but there at that moment. When Adam stood at her doorstep the day before, telling her about how Dean Buckley was going to waive their scholarships, any lasting respect she had for the educational system went out the window.

She was glaring at the alumni as they conversed amongst each other when someone slightly bumped into her. Octavia recognized the bundle of brown hair as Linda, a freshman she thinks. They each gave each other small smiles and looks that said something like "I can't believe they're actually doing this." It's not fair how people who don't go or work there get to decide who gets to.

Dean Buckley was talking but Octavia wasn't listening to whatever he was saying. It was clear that their minds were all made up and there was nothing that anyone in the room was going to be able to say to change that.

Her eyes mat Adam's and they looked at each other with disappointed looks. The first boy Octavia likes is going to be kicked out of the fucking school. Just when she gets him back some force decides to pull him away again.

"Do I have a motion of reconsideration?" Dean asked the men and women sitting at the table. None of them said anything— big surprise there. "I'm sorry, coach, but unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

"You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney," Orion announced to the room.

From behind Octavia and Linda, the door opened and in walked none other than Gordon Bombay. "Dean Buckley, members of the board, as counsel for Coach Orion and the freshman hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned." Octavia smirked and made eye contact with him and he winked at her in return.

"Mr. Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding," Buckley told him.

"Not yet," Bombay responded. "But I can assure you it will be. Do you mind?" He had Buckley hold his briefcase whilst he took a folder out of it. "These scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients. An acceptance by the Ducks that cannot be voided except for cause, which I guarantee you you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win, because I am very, very good. You know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education. You gave it to me, and you're going to give it to these kids."