★ | 015. special operations squad

Book: Whatever It Takes, Attack On Titan

Chapter 15: Special Operations Squad

Word Count: 1106

"An architectural marvel, don't you agree?"

Eren looked up, seeing they were riding towards a large castle.

"A proper royal residence once upon a time; and more recently, our former headquarters. Fancy, yes. But absurdly impractical once the Scouts got down to business. Much, much too far removed from either river or wall. This was the early days for us, you understand. Hopes soared high. Now, this opulent bauble is a little more than a holding cell. The place where we store our newest toy."

Eren turned to look behind him, seeing Levi glaring at him. He gasped and turned back around, his eyes wide. He wished Asta were here.

"Do not be deceived, greenhorn."

Eren looked at Oruo riding next to him who had been the one doing all the talking. "Excuse me?"

"Don't be expecting the royal treatment. Whether you're Titan or human, don't imagine for a second we all share the good Captain's enthusi - " His horse tripped over a rock, causing him to harshly bite down on his tongue. He screamed in pain as Eren just looked at him with shock.

★ ★ ★

Eren had spent most of the day cleaning up the castle, orders by Levi himself. He was slightly out of breath as he walked into the room Levi was in, dust covering his hands and a bandana covering his mouth. He pulled the sheet down.

"I'm done with the upstairs, sir." He started and Levi turned to look at him. "If, uh, if I may ask, Captain, where will I be expected to sleep?"

Levi pulled his own bandana down from covering his mouth. "Your sleeping quarters are in the cellar."

Eren's face dropped. "The cellar? But, sir, again?"

"Our safest option. Your abilities are far from being under control. You might go Titan in your sleep. One of the conditions of my having you in custody at all is that I keep you under strict security morning, noon, and night. While we're in dreamland, you're in restraints. That's the rule. I'll check your work. Take over here, I want it spotless."

"Yes, sir."

He walked out.

★ ★ ★

Eren was laying down in his bunk bed, eyes wide awake. He couldn't get to sleep.  From across the room, he heard whimpers coming from one of the boys in his sleep. Not any boy. Asta. He turned his head and looked towards his best friend, seeing him tossing and turning in his sleep, sweat on his face.

Eren got up and walked over to him. He shook his shoulder. "Asta? Are you okay?" Asta didn't wake up and whined again. "Asta?" Eren sat down on the bed and shook him again.