★ | 017. female titan

Book: Whatever It Takes, Attack On Titan

Chapter 17: Female Titan

Word Count: 2284

In the year 850, humankind reclaimed lands from the Titans for the first time since their appearance some hundred-odd years before

In the year 850, humankind reclaimed lands from the Titans for the first time since their appearance some hundred-odd years before. The cost, however, was great.

One short month later, led by Erwin Smith, the Scout Regiment set out. Leaving the relative comfort and safety of Calaneth District, they south to carve a route to Shiganshina, the place believed to hold the Titans' secrets.

"We've got a ten-meter closing in from the left! Gah! I want to know what's rolling around in that glorious belly." As Hange finished speaking two other soldiers flew through the air to attack the Titan. "Never mind. Let the support squad to their job."

Sasha let out a squeal as the Titan smashed into a nearby building. The man riding next to her grabbed her head and made her face forward. "Eyes front! Their job's to handle it. Yours is to keep moving!"

"Forward! Ride for all you're worth!"

Asta kept his eyes ahead as his hands gripped the reins on his horse. He couldn't focus on the Titans next to him. The Commander was right. They had a mission and they needed to stick with it.

"Loaded question. Be straight with me." Eren started to the man next to him. "You think my friends have a shot at taking down a Titan?"

"Really? I should certainly hope so, otherwise what the hell have they been training for?" The man responded.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence Eren." Asta said with a roll of his eyes.

"Now listen, and listen well. Prepared or not, you're all Scouts, which means the time is nigh to choke back those fears and - " He was cut off as his horse jumped, causing him to bite his tongue harshly.

He groaned in pain and Eren just looked away from him.

Erwin held out his arm as they exited the walls. "Long-range formation. Let's go!"

The soldiers began to split up. "See you 'round. Good luck." Reiner said to Jean, Asta and Armin before his horse moved away from them.

"Do us a favour if you run into one of 'em and don't piss yourself." Jean said to Armin.

"Yeah. Same goes for you." Armin said with his eyes narrowed.

"Good luck." Asta nodded his head before he directed his horse away, leaving the group. He kept his eyes alert to spot and Titans.

★ ★ ★

Asta spotted an abnormal Tian. It was tall and fast. It was sprinting across the grass and getting closer to Armin. He turned his horse and rode him towards Armin.