The Party

Shehry’s POV:

We were so busy with the dj-ing, that we didn’t even realize when Mama and Baba had arrived. I saw Dad wave at us from the center most table. He had another family with him.

I handed my headphones to Atif, who was basically just standing there and checking all the girls out.

“Gosh Ati! Stop checking out girls. Kuch kaam bhi kar le yaar!”, I told him smacking him on his back. Bechara he looked so embarrassed. 

“Waqas, yeh camera pakad, abhi aata hoon. Baba bula rahein hain!”, Hussain handed him the camera.

We walked towards our parents, and as I got closer, I saw Amna, standing next to my mom.

What the hell? Yeh yahan kya kar rahi hai?

“Sain, who dekh! Amna!”, I whispered, trying not to move my lips, while still keeping that smile on my face, as I slowly walked towards them.

“Yaar, yeh yahan kya--- Assalamalaikum Baba, Mama! Aplog yaha kab aaye?”. Hussain’s voice went from whispers to loud as soon as we got to them.

“Maha…”, he continued giving her a hi-5. 

“Assalamalaikum”, I said reluctantly, trying to avoid looking at Amna. 

“Walaikum Salam”, they all replied, and it sounded like a chorus.

“Beta, yeh mere dost hain, Abrar, aur yeh unki family”, baba said, and I stretched my hand forwad and shook hands with Amna’s dad.

“Yeh Shehryaar hai”, he said pointing at me, “aur yeh Hussain”, he said and Hussain then shook hands with him too.

So Amna is Baba’s friend’s daughter?

“Arey, Asif bhai, inko pata hay ki aap-“, Abrar uncle was cut off by my dad, “Je haan maine inko sab bata diya hai.” They were talking about me and Hussain knowing about them being partners. 

The adults got busy in their usual talks, and I, who until now had not even looked at Amna, decided to quickly glance at her. 

She was casually just sitting next to her mom, and her eyes were glued to her phone.

“Shehryaar, Hussain, baitho. Aap log khade kyu ho?”,  her mom said. 

I made a quick look around, and the table was round, with Baba, and Uncle sitting next to each other. Maha, was sitting next to Baba, and Mama, was sitting next to her, with Aunty. Amna was sitting next to her dad. The only 2 chairs that were remaining were the ones in between my Aunty, and Amna. 

Hussain quickly grabbed the chair next to Aunty, leaving me the chair next to Amna.

SHIT!

I slowly pulled the chair out, and noticed that she looked at me through the corner of her eye. I moved my chair closer to Hussain’s without making a noise so no one would notice, and sat on it. 

“Shehry beta, yeh Amna hai, Abrar jee ki beti. Yeh app hi ke college main padti hain.”, baba said out of the blue.

Well great! I thought he didn’t introduce us in the beginning so he might have forgotten but no! He remembers! Shit!

“Oh. Hey..”, I said trying not to look at her.

“Shehry, Waqas is calling us.”, said Hussain suddenly, getting up from his chair, and patting my back.

I didn’t want to miss this chance, and quickly got up, “We’ll be right back”.

“Thanks Sain”, I whispered, as we walked towards the DJ station.