Chapter 2

"Man was found bashed almost to death in an alleyway." Callie hums as she peaks her head into my office, an eyebrow raised.

I put my pen down and chuckle lightly, flicking my hair up.

"He got angry." I shrug out, watching her sigh to herself.

"Apparently so." She sees, an eyebrow raised before she walks herself in, sitting down at my desk.

"So... It's a Friday." She ponders off. "We're all going out for a drink after work, you in?" She offers out.

"Uh... I don't know." I murmur out, ruffling my hair up. "I think I might stay back anyway, this is far from finished and-"

"Niall," she sighs, looking up at the ceiling, "all you ever do is work. You ditched us last week as well." She frowns and I couldn't help but chuckle lightly.

"I had a lot on my plate last week." I huff, my lip bitten.

"Come on, there's even a new guy that's willing to come out with us." She gets out.

"There's a new guy?" I ask, my lip bitten.

"Yep. Luca came by to tell you but you probably missed it." She says with a small smile.

"Well then, uh... I'll think about it." I say, nodding.

"And just a head's up... The word going around is that he bats for the other team." She smirks. "... Which is great for you but shitty for me. He's pretty cute." She chuckles.

"No thanks." I get out, shaking my head.

"Oh come on... I need a bit of office gossip. The only thing fuelling me to stay here is that Sarah and Luca hooked up at the last office party so it's all very awkward." She explains.

"Did they really?" I ask, an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, Luca won't shut up about it. So consider the new guy, hey?" She offers.

"A guy touched my ass last night... Almost died. I'm not going to do anything against Zayn because the new guy will be a goner." I chuckle lightly. "Both that and because I love him."

"Oh it's all so romantic and perfect, isn't it Niall? Have a little fun." She grins, walking toward my door.

"No thank you." I laugh to myself, a hand going through my hair.

"Catch you later love." She smiles, making her way out.

"Oh Callie." I sigh to myself, shuffling some papers up as I swing myself around to place them on the compartment behind me.

And it was then the curiosity hit me. I scooted myself closer to the window, seeing where everyone seemed to be clumped together. I was guessing that the new guy was the one with the black and grey tie, chuckling at something Callie had said.

I bite my lip, observing his dark brown hair and his fit physique. I just shrugged.

Nothing on my Zayn.

Which reminded me, I needed to see Luca about Zayn.

He and Callie were the only two - besides my boss - who knew about Zayn. Callie because well... She pumped that snippet of information out of me and Luca because he runs the crime section. He's got a tad of a fascination with Zayn and if Callie's around, she wouldn't have kept it a secret.

I stand myself up, loosening my tie before I walk my way over toward Luca's office - seeing through the glass windows that he wasn't there. I just huffed to myself, tilting my head to the side to see him talking to the new guy.