Chapter 14

Dean Axle Lance

They were waiting for me just outside the restaurant doors. Tonio wore an expensive black suit. Liz wore a pretty, yellow sundress despite the fact that it was still February and night. She wore a pink sweater over it. Sarah was tall and even taller in heels. She wore a navy blue women's pant suit. Her blond hair was tied up in a stylized bun. I felt horribly underdressed even though I was wearing the best thing I owned - black slacks and a white dress shirt.

"You look great," Liz said as I walked up to them. The way Antonio's eyes looked me over before he realized he was in public said he thought I looked great too. That was all that mattered.

"Thanks," I said.

"Well," Antonio said, "let's go in." He held the door open. Liz and Sarah went in first. I followed.

Once inside, Antonio gave the host desk his reservations. We didn't wait long before we were taken back. Liz and Antonio sat next to each other. They were supposed to be on a date with each other after all. I sat next to Sarah, but across from Antonio. Antonio had told me ahead of time that he was going to pay for everything. I hadn't protested much because he seemed like he wanted to. Looking at the menu now and seeing that the average price for the entrees was about $50 I wondered if he offered because he thought I couldn't afford it. I wouldn't be able to very often, but for one night, I could have covered the cost. Or maybe I was just reading too much into it and he genuinely just wanted to pay for the Valentine's dinner. I'd let him.

Antonio ordered a red wine and an appetizer of grilled calamari. I had never had calamari before. It was going to be a new experience. The restaurant was elegant, dim lights and a reverent hush that made me feel like I had to speak quietly.

"So," Sarah said, turning to me. "You're in the motorcycle business too."

"Yeah," I said. "My little shop isn't anywhere as grand as Tonio's though."

"You've got a lot of loyal customers though," Antonio piped in.

"You do too," I said.

"I have some loyal customers," he said, "but you know everyone that walks through your door and I can't say the same. I like that small town atmosphere."

Liz looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "What?" Anotnio asked.

"I've never heard you say you like small towns," she said.

His eyes darted to me before going back to her. "Maybe I'm changing as I get older."

"Maybe," she said. But the smirk on her lips said she knew exactly why he suddenly had an affinity for small towns.

"So what do you do?" I asked Sarah.

"Accounting," she said. "Not very interesting."

"She's being modest," Liz said. "She is good at what she does and everyone knows it." Her eyes beamed with the love she had for Sarah. She quickly turned her attention to Antonio when she realized she had been staring for too long.

"What about you?" I asked her.

"I'm a life insurance agent," she said.

Both Antonio and Sarah smiled at this. Antonio said, "She's very good at what she does too."

We talked a little more about generalities. It turned out that Liz and Antonio had known each other since they were thirteen. When the server came back to take our orders, Antonio ordered the grilled bison steak, Liz ordered the grilled duck breast, Sarah ordered the pan seared Ahi Tuna and I ordered the pork loin chop.