Chapter 52

Dean Axle Lance

I was installing a new battery on one of my customer's bikes when the shop bell rang. I wiped my hands off and went into the shop portion of the shop. Beverly stood at the counter patiently waiting for me. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hi, Dean," she said.

"Hi, Bev. What can I do for you today?"

"I don't know if you heard," she said, "but my son, Zack, just got engaged a few days ago."

"I did hear," I said. I didn't tell her that her ex husband was the one who told me.

"Maybe it's silly of me," she said, "but I've been thinking it would be nice if she could join us on our family rides. Would you teach her like how you taught Zack and Eva last year? I'd pay you of course."

"Sure," I said. "Does she have a bike yet?"

She sighed and shook her head. She stared at the countertop as she said, "Frank volunteered to buy her one as an engagement gift."

"You and Frank are on better terms now?"

She shrugged and met my eyes. "We kinda have to be for the kids. Now that some time has passed, I think getting a divorce was a blessing in disguise. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm happier without him. I'm happier being single. I like being able to do what I want when I want. I still don't like his new wife much, but their baby is cute. Have you seen her?"

I knew she was asking if I had seen the baby. It was obvious I had seen the wife.

"He brought her in the other day," I said. "She is cute." But she had cried almost the entire time and Frank clearly had been flustered. It was the only time I was kinda glad I didn't have to raise Vincent when he was a baby.

"I'll let you get back to work then," Bev said, "I'll check my soon to be daughter-in-law's schedule and get back to you."

"Sounds good," I said.

I watched her leave and then I went back into the garage portion of the shop to continue working on the motorcycle. When that was all done, I called the customer to tell him it was done. I moved the motorcycle to the parking lot and then cleaned up the garage getting ready to close up for the day.

Antonio and I had made plans days ago for him to come over tonight, but that had been before he came out to his parents. I wasn't sure if the plans had changed. We hadn't discussed it that morning before I left his house. I was going to work with the assumption that he still planned to come over. I wondered what he wanted to eat for dinner. I would need to go to the grocery store.

My final customer for the day came in, paid for the new battery I installed in his bike and then left. I was locking up the store when Antonio called.

"Hello," I answered. I left the store and started to walk the short distance to my house.

"Hi," he said. "I told everyone at work today that I'm gay."

"How'd that go?"

"Good," he said. "No one seems to have a problem with it. That's a weight off my shoulders. And my brother came in today too. He accepts me and my niece which is a relief."

"That's good to hear," I said. "I'm glad it worked out. Are you still coming over tonight?"

"Of course," he said.

"What do you want for dinner? I need to go to the store."

There was a pause on his end and then he said, "Can we go out to eat? We don't need to hide that we're in a relationship anymore and I kinda want to flaunt it."