Chapter Eight - Sage

My mobile buzzed on the table. Picking it up, Hunter was texting me to let me know he was sitting outside, waiting—It was seven on the dot.

A bubbling rush of excitement burst through my stomach before inevitably heading lower causing my thighs to clench, but something else stirred deep inside me.

She felt it too.

And she whined and whimpered, sending ripples of raw need through my mind. I'd never known her this excited or curious to know what dwelled inside.

Or maybe she just wanted out? She hadn't stretched her legs for over two weeks.

"If you settle down, then I promise you can come out at the weekend."

She growled at me. Actually growled—That's a first! But I didn't have time to figure out what it meant as I inhaled a long slow breath, grabbed my clutch and took one last look at my reflection on the way out.

This is work. This is work.

I had to keep repeating it as I made my way down to meet him. Stepping from the elevator, I noted the expensive Bentley Continental convertible car parked directly outside the door to my apartment building—that wasn't allowed.

Either you parked inside the underground parking area or you had to use the visitor bays.

Without seeing the driver, I knew it was Hunter Stone's car. I doubted anybody told him what to do.

"Good evening Mike," I said to our doorman as he opened the door for me.

He eyed Hunter's car suspiciously before he turned and smiled at me. "Is the gentleman with you Miss Dufrene?"

"Yes, Mike." Colour bled into cheeks. "I'm sorry that he's ignored the rule of parking. He hasn't been here before."

Mike tipped his head. "No problem. You have a good evenin', Miss Dufrene," he replied.

Right. This is it. Business face. Breathe and relax.

My thoughts were cut off as I watched him get out of the car. He looked, oh my...breathtaking.

Mon Dieu!

My body temperature soared as if dropped into a pot of boiling water. And even though oxygen surrounded me, it was as if it wasn't available to me—I couldn't breathe.

Stopping abruptly, my hand gripped my clutch tighter as I took in the full sight of him; slowly consuming the image. I felt every single goosebump pop as they flooded my bare arms.

He was dressed in a tailored black suit, with a black shirt beneath with the top button open.

Simply divine.

Never and I mean, never! Had a man looked so good in a suit? It fit him like a second skin.

His head of dark brown hair was styled tonight and slicked back and I wanted to run my fingers through it, rough it up a little, make it sexy messy like this morning.

His mouth twitched before he smiled that amazing smile of his. He looked so mouth-wateringly sexy, that my insides were at melting point.

Stop staring; idiote.

My stomach was doing an Olympic sprint, as he slammed his car door shut and began walking towards me. He dragged his teeth across his bottom lip as his eyes raked over the length of me. I shivered even though it was a warm night; a very warm night.

He stopped right in front of me and ran his hand across his chin, shaking his head, and letting out a puff of air. "Fuck me. You look perfect. In my head, I knew you would be, but fuckin' hell you go above and beyond what's inside my head, yeah?" he said.