Chapter 32 - Sage

My brain stuttered as we drove away. Peeking in the side mirror I watched the marquee disappear—away from him, Hunter.

Every part of me paused while my thoughts caught up. It felt wrong, so wrong leaving him there.

What if my grandfather woke up?

What if the Alphas turned on him and his brother, hurt him—or worse?

My breathing stalled as my heart rate picked up as cold shivers ran through me. "We have to turn around." I turned to face Sylar and with an unsteady voice, told him. "I shouldn't have left him there."

Without looking at me, he put his hand on my shoulder and my mind instantly calmed, brushing away the hurricane of thoughts from moments ago.

'Breath Sage, relax,' I heard his voice inside my head.

My shoulders sagged as the trapped breath released.

"It will be okay; it will, I promise," he said as another wave of reassurance washed through me.

He was just like me.

But this was wrong.

For the second time in less than a few hours, I felt violated, although I knew he meant no harm.

"Don't," I said a little too sharply, shrugging off his hand.

"Don't what?" he asked, but kept his attention on the road.

"Do that. Get inside my head and mess with my feelings—thoughts. I've had enough of being anyone's puppet."

I felt his influence disappear as he shifted in his seat tightening his grip on the steering wheel. "I'm sorry, I never meant—"

Cutting him off. "Where are we going?" I tried to ease the escalating tension in the small space between us and I knew he wasn't about to turn the car around no matter how much I begged. I couldn't influence him either, he was stronger than me—a lot stronger

And this scared me.

What if he put me to sleep? Or made me do something...

Sylar cut into my thoughts speaking softly as you would a child. "I would never hurt you Sage, or try to control you. You don't have to be afraid of me."

His words appeared genuine. But I wasn't sure I could trust him... yet.

Pressing the electric button on the door, the window opened slightly to allow fresh air to rush in, brushing against my ear. It relaxed me slightly and I thought back to the dreams, the ones I'd been having for months now. I'd been excited to think that maybe there was someone else out there just like me. And I couldn't deny I felt something—a connection.

But what? I didn't know.

Was he my mate?

I searched for answers, knowing only one thing for certain. When I looked at him, I felt nowhere near the pull I felt for Hunter.

Thinking of Hunter, an ache pulled inside my chest. I honestly believed my heart had lived in darkness until the day I met him.

And it wasn't just his good looks, although it would be a lie to say they played no part in it.

But it was so much more than looks and attraction. His eyes, that cocky smirk. His voice and the way he held himself. Hell, even his smell was something I craved.

And not to mention the way he looked at me, and touched me. The simplest of touches made me feel more alive than I'd ever been.

So surely Sylar couldn't be my mate—Right?