Chapter 38 - Hunter

Sage blocked me sending my gut into a tumbling spin as alarm bells rang in my head.

Something didn't feel right.

And I had to clamp myself to the spot to not charge after her.

Was it something to do with her brother?

My wolf growled.

'Hunter!' Zander yelled in my head, pushing my thoughts out of the way.

My head snapped in his direction, irritated.

"I suppose," he stared. "It was out of the question to wait, wait until we had this shit sorted?"

"Eh, what?"

He sighed. "You—marking Sage! You listening?"

That pissed me off. For once could he try not to sound like dad?

But no. I didn't want to wait. It felt right. I wasn't going to feel bad about it. It was what I wanted. She was who I wanted. No other woman would ever come close to Sage. I felt it my soul that we were meant for each other.

I shrugged, suppressing my anger. "Timing might not have been perfect. But I don't regret it. I wasn't gonna let her slip away again. Would have thought you of all people would understand where I'm coming from."

He rubbed his hand over his chin, a flicker of guilt in his eyes. "We need to know more about Du-Ponte and that fucked up Dream-Walker."

Looking back towards the house in the distance, not interested in that shit right now. I just wanted to be with her. Shoving my hands in my jeans pocket. I wasn't going to wait any longer. About to announce my intention of charging in there, Sage spoke to me, telling me we could head down.

"We can head up to the house, you coming?"

"I'm coming," said Pearl from behind me.

Zander looked a little hesitant but flicked his head. "Keys? And I can't believe you took my new fucking Model S. Haven't even drove it myself yet, cheeky bastard."

Grunting, raising a brow, I turned to Gunner. "Keep your eyes open, yeah? Let us know if anyone tips up."

He snorted, sitting his arse down on the bonnet of his car. "Let's go." The three of us climbed into Zander's car.

A few minutes later we arrived and parked up next to a Volvo. If Gunner hadn't tracked that car, then I would never have found her, maybe even lost her for good.

The thought was sobering and fucking scary.

As we approached the door a pain sliced through me.

It was Sage.

Mate! my wolf said. Find her.

"Something's wrong." The door opened to reveal a woman. "Where's Sage?" I didn't have time for introductions or watch my tone.

"She's upstairs—with Sylar."

"She needs me," was what I said as I barged my way past her, into her home. I belted up the stairs, her scent and distress leading me towards an open bedroom.

Both hers and Sylar's heads snapped in my direction. Pain was coursing through my veins, and my heart was pumping unbelievably fast. "Sage?"

I needed no words as I strode towards her, pulling her into my arms. She buried her head in my chest and I relaxed slightly, kissing the top of her head.

'I'm here, what happened?' I kept my eyes fixed on her brothers, who glared back at me.

She was too upset. Her emotions bombarded me hard and fast. I would need to punch someone or something at this rate. "What the fuck happened?" I snarled.