Chapter 14

When Rick came back, you, Shane, Daryl and Glenn joined him in searching for Sophia.

He showed you where he had left her and just like you thought he would, Daryl managed to pick up her trail as you all began to follow him as he tracked her footsteps.

It was almost like you were back in his small country town, trekking through the woods with him while he tracked a deer. All the times he had tried to teach you how to track, the times he had taught you how to shoot his crossbow, all the times the two of you ended up making out in the abandon cabin that the Dixons basically owned since nobody else used it.

"What is it?" You asked, looking at Daryl who had stopped walking.

He was staring down at the ground with a blank look on his face. But, you could read Daryl like a book, something wasn't right.

"She was doing just fine till right here. Was headin' back to the road, but veered off that way." Daryl answered, pointing off to the right causing you to frown.

Why would she change direction like that?

"Maybe she saw something that spooked her, made her run off." Shane suggested as he crouched down beside Daryl who was staring at the tracks on the forest floor.

"A walker?" Glenn asked, fear evident in his tone.

"I don't see any other footprints. Just hers." Daryl answered, which didn't really make you feel any better.

You had to find her, she was just a little girl.

"So what do we do? All of us press on?" Shane asked, looking over at Rick who shook his head.

"No, better if you and Glenn get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking. Let them know we're on her trail doing everything we can But, most of all, keep everybody calm." Rick instructed and Shane nodded in agreement, throwing his shotgun over his shoulder.

"I'll keep them busy scavenging cars. Think up a few other chores. I'll keep them occupied. Be safe." Your brother replied, glancing between you and Rick.

You nodded before him and Glenn began to make their way back to the highway. Daryl stood up and began to follow Sophia's tracks while you and Rick trailed behind quietly, not wanting to get in the way.

The three of you silently walked through the forest. Your footsteps were as light as a feather, but Rick was making a lot of noise while he walked and you were shocked Daryl hadn't said anything about it before the sound of leaves ruffling caught your attention. You all quickly dropped to a crouch, your hand hovering over your gun holster when you spotted a walker in the distance.

"It's a walker." You whispered and not a second alter Daryl put an arrow through it's skull and it dropped to the ground.

You rushed over to the walker and sighed with relief when you realised that it was the size of an adult and not a child.

It wasn't Sophia. She was still out here somewhere, unless this walker got to her first.

Without thinking twice, you knelt down beside the walker and grabbed it's rotten hand. You began to look under it's fingernails which was harder than you thought it would be with it's rotten flesh as you tried to find any pieces of skin under the nails, indicating that it struggled with someone.

"What are ya lookin' for?" Daryl asked from somewhere behind you.

"Skin under the fingernails." Rick answered before you opened the walkers mouth cautiously as Rick crouched down beside you staring as you stared at it's teeth. "It fed recently. There's flesh caught in it's teeth."