Chapter 20

Within the span of a few hours, things went from down to worse.

Beth had gone into some kind of state of shock and wouldn't respond to anyone and Hershel had disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Rick and Glenn had gone into town, thinking that Hershel had gone to the local bar in town after finding his flask in his bedroom, leaving the rest of you waiting anxiously around the farm.

You spent most the day trying to help with Beth and by helping, it was mainly just sitting beside her.

There wasn't much you could do for the young girl, you had seen people in this kind of state of shock after major accidents. You knew there wasn't anything you could do for her except keep her comfortable and try get her to eat, but she wouldn't even respond to her sister, so you highly doubted she'd eat or drink.

"Hey, Y/N?" Lori's voice suddenly called out.

You looked away from Beth to find Lori standing in the doorway to Beth's bedroom.

"What's up?"

You and Lori had never really seen eye to eye, even when you were kids. Hell, you kinda hated her in high school, but then her and Rick had started dating and well, you had been putting up with her ever since for Ricks sake. She was a nice woman and good mother, but she got on your nerves sometimes.

"Rick and Glenn should be back by now. It's nearly dark-" She began to say before you cut her off.

"Rick knows what he's doing. Glenn too. They'll be back soon."

"Something might have went wrong, they wouldn't stay out there in the dark. We have to go find them. I already asked Daryl, but he said no. Can you come with me?" She asked, already pulling out a street map from her pocket and you sighed.

She had clearly thought this through and you knew if you said no then she would just go by herself and that was just a stupid idea.

"Okay, but lets go now before Shane gets back. My brother won't like this idea, hell, neither do I." You muttered, standing up, taking one last look at Beth before you followed Lori out the house to find that she had already got a car parked out the front of the house with the keys in the ignition.

Lori immediately handed you the map before she walked over to the drivers side. You didn't argue as you climbed into the passenger seat and unfolded map and began to figure out the best route to take into town to get this bar.

You instructed Lori where to go, but other than saying the occasional 'take the next left' the two of you sat there in dead silence.

What were you meant to say? She was worrying about Rick and you were still trying to figure out how you were meant to explain this to Shane when you got back because he would not be happy that you just took off without saying a word to him about it.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Lori suddenly questioned, breaking the awkward silence as she glanced over at you causing you to frown.

Of course you were going the right way. You were the one with the map.

"Yeah, we're nearly there." You answered, hoping that would shut her up, but of course it didn't.

"I think we're going around in circles. Let me see the map."

You were about to say something about her not being able to read a damn map, but she pulled it out your hands before you could even open your mouth.

She laid the map out over the steering wheel as she tried to read it, but you knew she wouldn't even be able to figure out where the town was on the map, let alone where the two of you were right now.