Chapter 17

"This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organised. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick explained, looking down at the map that was spread across the hood of the truck.

"Not you. Not today." Hershel called out, walking towards the group of you. "You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out. And your ankle, push it now and you'll be laid up for a month, no good to anybody."

"Guess it's just me. I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." Daryl spoke up as you looked over at him.

Just him? What were you? Nothing?

"I can still be useful. I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back." Shane added.

"I will search the woods nearby, see what I find. But, tomorrow. That's when we start doing this properly." You declared, looking between the group before glancing back down at the large map.

That was a lot of area to cover. Sophia could be anywhere... if she was even still alive.

"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them." Shane responded and you nodded in agreement.

Everyone needed to learn how to protect themselves. Hell, you wouldn't mind if Carl learnt how to use one when he was fit enough. He needed to protect himself too.

"I prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning his into an armed camp." Hershel said.

Like hell you were giving up your gun.

"All due respect, you get a herd of those things wandering in here-" Shane began to say before Rick cut him off.

"Look, we're guests here. This is your property and we will respect that." Rick stated, glancing over at you and Shane sternly as he pulled his Colt Python from his holster and placed it on top of the map.

Oh, he was not serious right now? We're really just giving up our guns?

You glanced over at Shane who bit his lip, stopping himself from saying something he'd most likely regret as he pulled his Glock from his belt and placed it on the map beside Ricks.

Rick turned towards you with a questioning look and sighed.

"Whatever, but I'm keeping everything else." You reasoned, gesturing towards you belt where your baton, OC spray and handcuffs were before you pulled your handgun from the holster.

Rick gave you a grateful nod. "First things first, finishing setting up camp and find Sophia."

"I hate to be the one to ask, but somebody's got to. What happens if we find her and she's bit? I think we should all be clear on how we handle that." Shane said and although it was a bad thing to say, it did need to be said because as much as you hated to admit it, it was possible.

"We do what has to be done." Rick answered seriously.

"What about her mother? What do you tell her?" Maggie asked and you could tell she did not agree with Rick said.

"The truth." You simply answered looking over at the other woman as she glanced over at her father with uneasy expression.

"I'll gather and secure all the weapons. Make sure no one's carrying till we're at a practice range off site. I do request one rifleman on lookout. Dale's got experience." Shane suggested, looking over at Hershel who defiantly did not like that idea.

"Our people would feel safer, less inclined to carry a gun." Rick said, backing him up.

Hershel thought about it for a moment and to your surprise, he nodded in agreement.