Chapter 7

"You're not seriously going back for him, right?" Shane suddenly questioned.

You turned around to find him and Rick walking towards you and you sighed.

You knew your brother wouldn't like this.

"I am. If Rick had left you up on that rooftop I would already be on my way there."

"I'm going too. It's my fault in the first place and you're gonna need backup." Rick added, shocking you slightly, but you just nodded, knowing it would be better to have someone with you. Especially someone you could trust to have your back.

"So, that's it, huh? You two are just gonna walk off? Just to hell with everyone else?" Shane questioned in disbelief. "Why would you risk your lives for a douche bag like Merle Dixon?"

"Hey, choose your words more carefully." Daryl suddenly called out.

Glancing over your shoulder, you found him sitting on a wooden log, sharpening the broadheads on his crossbow bolts, staring at the three of you.

"No, I did. Douche bag's what I meant." Your brother said, looking at Daryl before he turned back to you and Rick. "Merle Dixon, the guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst."

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me. I can't let a man die of thirst. Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being." Rick explained and you nodded in agreement.

"So, you two and Daryl, that's your big plan?" Shane questioned as you looked over at Glenn who was walking past, but immediately stopped and shook his head at you, knowing what you were about to ask.

"You know the way. You've been there before in out, no problem. You said so yourself. It's not fair of me to ask, I know that, but we'd feel a lot better with you along. I know his wife would too." You said, nodding towards Lori who you knew was standing by the RV watching the group of you as you spoke.

"That's just great. Now you're gonna risk four men, huh?" Shane questioned and you rolled your eyes at his choice of words because it was actually three men and a woman, but now was not the time to correct him.

"Five." T-Dog spoke up, walking over to the group of you.

"My day just gets better and better, don't it?" Daryl muttered causing you to turn around.

"You see anybody else here stepping up to save your brothers ass? No, so shut up." You ordered, glaring at Daryl.

He just shook his head at you and looked down at the bolts in his hands before you turned back to your brother and Rick.

It took a while, but you and Rick somehow convinced Shane to let the group of you go. But even then, Shane didn't exactly agree to it, more like got sick of arguing and left the conversation, which you took as a yes.

You sat in silence in the back of the delivery truck while Rick drove and Glenn sat shotgun leaving you, Daryl and T-Dog to sit in the back awkwardly as you ignored each other until Rick finally bought the vehicle to a stop.

"We walk from here." Glenn declared.

Everyone climbed out the vehicle and you realised you were by the train tracks on the outskirts of the city.

"Merle first or guns?" Rick questioned as the five of you ducked through the hole in the fence and began walking into the city.

"Merle! We ain't even having this conversation." Daryl yelled, throwing his crossbow over his shoulders.

"We are. You know the geography. It's your call." Rick replied, turning his attention from Daryl to Glenn.

"Merle's closest. The guns would mean doubling back. Merle first."