Chapter 16

The following morning, you all packed up and began making your way to the Greene farm.

You left a large sign for Sophia along with a bunch of supplies for her in case she managed to come back. Carol still didn't want to leave, but you promised her that you'd come back every day to check.

It was only a short drive before a large double story farmhouse appeared in the distance.

You took in all the wire fences surrounding the property and paddocks in the area and although it wouldn't be enough to hold back a large herd of walkers, it would definitely do the trick to keep out any walkers that happen to stumble this way.

You stood behind Dale as he pulled the RV up in front of the farm house and you couldn't stop the smile spreading across your face when you spotted Shane standing beside Glenn out the front of the house.

But, your smile instantly disappeared when you realised he was limping and you frowned taking in his shaved hair and the oversized denim overalls that he was wearing.

Never in your lift had you seen your brother wear something like that. What happened to his clothes and why was he limping? What happened?

Before Dale even parked the RV, you opened the side door and jumped out, ignoring him shouting at you to wait, but he was going slow and you landed on your feet, so it was fine.

The second your feet hit the ground, you looked up as Daryl climbed off the motorcycle before your eyes landed on your brother who was already staring at you and you didn't waste anytime as you ran over to him while he limped towards you and you wrapped him up into a tight hug.

"Is Carl okay? Why are you limping? Are you okay? Is Rick okay? What happened?" You frantically questioned.

Shane wrapped his arms around your back and held you tightly, but he didn't answer straight away. He didn't really say anything as he hugged you and you could feel his body shaking slightly and you knew whatever had happened, it was bad.

"Hey." You said gently as you slowly pulled away, keeping your hands on his shoulders as you stared at your brother who just lowered his head.

"Carl is gonna be okay. Rick and Lori are inside with him, they're fine. I just rolled my ankle, it's nothing."

There was something off about his voice and the fact that he was avoiding eye contact was a big indicator that there was more to the story, but you knew your brother well enough to know not the push the topic. He would tell you when he was ready. He was okay, Carl and Rick were okay. That was the main thing.

"How is he?" Dale's voice suddenly questioned.

You looked away from your brother just as Rick and Lori walked down the steps to the front of the house, followed by an older man and three women. You instantly recognised the brunette as the stranger on the horse, but you didn't recognise the older woman or the young blonde girl.

"He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people. And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him." Rick answered before his eyes landed on you and he rushed forward, pulling you into a hug.

"Thank God. How'd it happen?" You asked a few seconds later as you pulled away from him.

"Hunting accident. That's all, just a stupid accident."

Lori then began to introduce everyone to the Greene family while Rick explained what had happened, including how Shane and a man named Otis went to a school to retrieve lifesaving equipment for Carl, but Otis didn't make it out.

An hour later, the group of you were all gathered under a large tree, standing around Otis' grave while Hershel spoke.

You felt bad for the Greene family, they had helped Carl and then they lost one of their own. Although, if it wasn't for Otis then Carl wouldn't have needed their help in the first place, but you weren't about to go into that, the man was dead.