Chapter 9

Before-

You pulled up in front of the house that you and Shane shared.

It's been a long time since you had been back home and you sighed with relief, spotting your brothers Jeep parked in the driveway.

You didn't bother grabbing your bags out the back, all you wanted to do was crash in bed and forget about everything that had happened in the past 48 hours.

You lost Daryl. You lost your dream career. You lost everything.

Taking the keys out the ignition, you climbed out the car and walked up the front door about to try unlock it with your old key before you realised the door wasn't even locked. Of course it wasn't. This was Shane you were talking about. You were shocked the door wasn't wide open.

"Bro, are you home?" You called out, walking through the front door.

You knew he would be shocked that you were home, it's been nearly eight months since you saw him during Christmas last year. You missed him, but you had no idea what you were going to say when he found out that you had transferred back to King County.

"Y/N? That you?" Shane's voice responded as you walked into the main room to find him walking out the kitchen with a glass of water in his hands. "What are you doing here? I thought you were coming home in a few months time for Ricks birthday?"

You just shrugged your shoulders before your brothers eyes widened as he took in the bruise on your left cheek.

"What happened?"

You opened your mouth about to say some sarcastic comment about needing to make sure the house was still standing, but you couldn't get any words out as you stared at your big brother.

Everything that had happening in the past 48 hours, suddenly hitting you. All the stress and emotion that you had been ignoring and pushing away, finally bubbling to the surface.

"Hey, are you okay?" Shane asked, his voice turning from happy to worried in a split second.

He put the glass of water down on the bench beside him before he started to walk towards you. That was all it took before tears started to rise in your eyes and there was nothing you could do to stop them as they started to trickle down your cheeks.

In an instant, Shane pulled you into his chest, hugging you tightly as you cried.

He didn't ask any more questions as he held you, whispering soothing words until you finally managed to stop crying and he pulled away slightly, his hands still on your shoulders as he stared at you.

"What happened?" He asked, his fingers brushing over the bruise on your cheek.

"Bruise is from some drunk guy I was arresting." You lied and Shane nodded.

It wasn't uncommon to get a punch or two from someone resisting arrest, but Shane would know that wasn't the reason for your sudden breakdown.

"Okay, now what else happened?" He asked, his voice soft as he spoke and you sighed.

"I applied for a transfer to be a Deputy back at King County again."

"What? Why? Being in the undercover unit was your dream job, you said you were loving it. Why'd you apply to leave?" He questioned in pure confusion.

"I did love it for a while, but I'm done. It's too much, I can't keep doing it. I can't live my life as a lie, I can't do the undercover shit anymore. I'm done. I just want to be home with you, with Rick, and just be a normal Deputy." You answered, rubbing your face with your hands as you took a deep breath.