Part 19

Christen pulls up outside Ali's house the next day after the whole Brent arrest situation and finds her friend waiting with a megawatt grin plastered across her face. 

She climbs out of the car and runs around to hug her friend and they dance on the spot in celebration. 

"Oh my God, Kriegs, I can't believe he's finally gone!"

"I know, it's absolutely amazing, I finally feel like I can breathe again." 

"I'm so happy for you!" 

They hug once more and hold each other. "Thanks for being there for me Pressy." 

"That's what friends are for, I only wish I could have played a role in finally kicking Brent's ass to the curb or behind bars in this case." 

"Yeah, Kyle really came through in the end. I still can't believe that he is facing jail time." 

"Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy; I hope he gets what's coming to him and then some for everything he has put you through over the last few years." 

They climb back in the car and make the drive to school.

"So enough about me for now, what's up with you and Kelley?" 

Christen blushes at the mention of Kelley's name and Ali catches it and laughs. "You're falling for her aren't you?" 

Christen smiles and nods, "She's amazing, Ali. She makes me laugh and then is able to turn around and have a conversation so deep that I'm balling. We talked for hours last night about her Dad, did you know she wears his dog tags around her neck? He was in the US military for many years and when he returned home from his last tour, he couldn't handle things and ended up killing himself." 

"Oh, wow, that's so sad." 

"Yeah, Kelley was really close to him and has struggled since his passing. We've bonded over losing our parents. I told her all about losing my Mom and how I think that me sleeping around was my coping mechanism, so I didn't have to really deal with the reality of her being gone."

Christen pulls into her parking spot and Ali reaches over to hold her crying friend. 

"It's good that you have finally found someone that you feel comfortable opening-up to about everything." 

"Thanks. Can you give me a few to regain my composure and fix my face, I don't want to be seen walking in with streaky makeup."

"Of course, take all the time you need. I'm just going to message Lex and see where she's at."

Minutes later, Alex shows up with three coffees in hand and passes them to her girls. 

"Why are we so glum? We should be celebrating." 

Christen takes a deep breath and smiles. "You're right Lex." She raises her cup up, "Cheers to kicking the trash to the curb and new beginnings." 

"Cheers!" 

As they walk inside Ali can't help notice the eyes on her and the whisperings around her. 

Alex and Christen grab her arms, "Let's go."

As they approach Ali's locker, they are met by a group of cheerleaders. 

Christen releases Ali's arm, "What do you want?" 

Julie, the head cheerleader steps forward, "I'm really sorry, Ali, we totally should have had your back when you kept telling us all those things about Brent. We were wondering if you might consider rejoining the squad, we miss you and could really use you for the State Cheer Championships."