1

Mac Geer 18

Mac Geer 18

I stood there just staring at the moon reflecting off the water giving the perfect moonlight. I just had a full head and needed to empty myself. My mom used to tell me stories about the girl in the water who always listened and if you believed enough she would protect you when you're hurt or need saving. My mom loved the water and I love the water. I think the girl who always listens is my mom. That's what I believe. Isn't it silly to write a letter to your dead mom every day. Or text her everyday hoping she will respond and you're just living in some twisted dream.

One day I hope I just wake up. Everything that's happened this past month it feels like my fault. I talked mom into going cliff jumping with me and Matt. I've hated myself ever since. So has Matt. Neither of us have forgiven ourselves for that night. My dad tells us all the time it wasn't our fault my we know it was. Matt and I have been together for a year and my mom always told us the tide gets low at night and to never go out there and jump the cliffs but that night. The tide didn't get as low but the way she landed in the water is what got her. She always jumps cliffs and surfs my mom was beautiful and she was the best singer I knew. Like she sang to me all the time. We would play the ukulele and sing while on our paddle boards. It was just something we did.

We used to make surfboards and own one of the best shops here in la. Mom and I had a strong bond and we always will even when she isn't here. I laid back in the sand and continued to listen to the waves crash against each other. I heard footsteps coming towards me and I sighed.

"Come inside it's getting late." Matt chuckled.

"Come lay with me." I smiled and he sighed. He laid down beside me and we stared up at the moon. "Do you hear her."

"Who." Matt asked.

"The girl in the water." I stated.

"Yeah." Matt sighed. "You're the girl I hear in the water."

"How come." I asked.

"I'm not sure but when I think of a peaceful place with soothing sounds I think of you." Matt smiled and looked at me.

"I think of my mom." I sighed and looked at him.

"I think of her sometimes but not all the time." Matt smiled. "Has she talked to you tonight."

"Sometimes you make me sound crazy it's not words I hear it's the way the waves respond." I chuckled.

"You are crazy." Matt chuckled. "But you're my crazy and it's cold come inside please."

"Fine." I sighed and he stood up and helped me from the ground. He grabbed my hand softly and we walked inside.