Five: No Guidance

Marcus Katrell Daniels

"You the only one I'm tryna make love to, pickin' and choosin' They ain't really love you, runnin' games, usin'

All your stupid exes, they gon' call again Tell 'em that a real nigga steppin' in"
•••

I watched on in silent aw and slight wanting as Jalyn danced around with a grinning Stefano. That boy was mean, but he'd already taken a strong liking to the glowing soft-natured physical therapist I got to call a girlfriend. She sang softly to him laughing and playfully reprimanding him as he reached out for hair and jewelry, but she was completely unfazed by it all. I couldn't stop the dumbstruck feeling I felt for her if I tried, especially as I watched her fit so easily into the family element of my life.

After everyone ate, we all helped clean up before migrating into the living room to chill out underneath the music in an easy atmosphere as always was the case when we all got together like this. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence considering how tight everyone in the room was. Sometimes we ended up in these "planned" gatherings on accident just because a few of us would be at one person'd house and the rest would flood in. I never had a big family growing up, so I always secretly relished in these moments of being around everybody no matter how annoyed I acted. To now have Jalyn involved in this as she was meant the honest to God world to me.

"I thought I knew a man in love when I got with Richard, but you sir are putting him to shame," Invi said sitting beside me with a sigh. I rolled my eyes before mushing her in the head making her laugh.

"I'm really over everybody in this house constantly on my case over being a more than decent boyfriend. Please leave me the hell alone," I said to Invi.

Invi N'Chelle was like my other sister truthfully. Her and Redd made the most sense as a couple once you put them together, and she was probably the only girl he'd ever dated that I got along with. Even if we'd met by a random chance, Invi and I probably would've been cool. She was pretty much to herself and not one to always be around a bunch of people. However when she was she was always chill, and we hit it off once we found we had a pretty similar sense of humor. She did get on my nerves, though much like her hating ass husband.

"Boy please! You knew it was coming! Kashera and Matteo have been waiting for the day, and I'm just waiting on Jalyn to get a bit more time under her belt as the misses. After that Issa wrap," She said with a snipping motion of her fingers that.

"You are so agitating. Don't you have a husband to go bother or something?" I said and she shrugged.

"I do, but he's over there talking to Matteo and his father and them niggas scare the fuck outta me," She said fake shivering which made me laugh.

"You need help. I pray you get it," I said as trained my eyes back on Jalyn.

"Come dance with me," She called and I smiled nodding.