Seven: Recognize

Marcus Katrell Daniels

How you told me innocent and I told you I never knowFuck it girl, I'm 'bout whatever thoughAnd that's proof for you

Fuck it girl, I'm 'bout whatever though
And that's proof for you...
Could name a lot of things any other man won't do for you
I'll do it for you, that's real
•••

Walking into the office at Kash's house was Matteo, Kashera, and I. This was the first stop I had to make today before I got to see Jalyn who I was sure was at work going astray because no new flowers were on this desk this morning. I had a plan to get to her this afternoon since I knew she had a later lunch, but I had some business to handle first. The first means of which was ensuring my family was completely taken care of in regards to the new threat Christopher had become.

Over the past few weeks we'd been keeping tabs on Christopher, and had gathered enough information on what went down to ensure he got out without a word to finally be able to come to her with sufficient information. For as much as we would like to keep her out of this, she not only had the right to know that he was released as his arrest was because of his treatment of her, but because like it or not so long as Matteo was involved in some shit so was she. Things were different now. It wasn't just like it was her and him. They had kids to protect first and foremost, and keeping her in the dark about things in the name of protection was just not going to fly.

Besides that, she'd always be better off knowing than walking around in blind ignorance. Kashera may not have been born into this life, but to know her as she was now you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. She could be a scary something when prompted: her ability to think ahead with Mateo's mafia bred instinct made for them to be two lethal side of the same deadly coin. It was for everyone's benefit that she was aware of what we were doing as this time would be more personally exhausting but it would remain just as helpful.

"What's going on now?" She asked as she sat on the edge of Matteo's desk and we took a seat in the two chairs in front of her. I looked at him, and he simply nodded at me to speak. With a deep breath I told her in the best way I could.

"You know how a few weeks ago we were talking about the hits being placed around the city?" I asked and she nodded. "Well, about two days after that, another incident popped up. Redd went to go check it out when a body got dumped outside the trap with a message informing us that he was coming. After doing some verifications, we found out it's Christopher," I said carefully. She blinked harshly for a moment before she laughed. It wasn't a light chuckle, but a genuine rumbling of a laugh.

"I hate to tell you this, but in order for that man to get out the parole board would've had to hold a meeting to inform me about that," She said coming down from her laughing high. Matteo and I looked at each other knowing this was going to go further down hill than we anticipated. With a sigh of his own he shook his head before speaking.

"Bambina, I wish we had it wrong but we don't. Both Marcus and I did checks with our sources inside the police department and court system. Christopher had been out of jail for about a month before the shootings and pop-ups around your brother's holdings began to occur. Doing some digging, we found that he had some connections of his own and money to pay off the people needed to bypass the normal rules of early parole releases," He explained to her. Her face hardened into a glare as she gripped onto the counter rocking her legs back and fourth.