Twelve: Same 'Ol Mistakes

Jalyn Elisha Baxter

"But maybe this story ain't so different from the restAnd I know it seems wrong to acceptBut you've got your demons, and she's got her regrets"•••

And I know it seems wrong to accept
But you've got your demons, and she's got her regrets"
•••

One Year Later

Walking into my office I slumped down into my chair with a tired sigh. It was one in the afternoon and I'd been working non-stop since I walked in the door at nine this morning. I loved being the lead therapist. The work I was doing now was getting me more opportunities across the city at an astounding rate, but I was exhausted to say the least. Allowing myself some time to rest, I closed my eyes as I placed my head in my arms on the cool wooden desk I sat behind.

My entire year thus far had been akin to this routine. I worked tirelessly at perfecting my craft and branching out in my networking. It was hard work, but as they said nothing worth having always comes easy. I found that out the long way this year, but I was more than appreciative of every blessing I received throughout the journey so far. Even if the blessing was as simple as a few moments of peace and quiet throughout a hectic day.

It was quiet and I zoned out in a semi-sleep until I heard the footsteps of somebody creeping in. When they kept coming in quietly, I became more alert until I felt the firm hands on my shoulders. I let out a soft chuckle before I groaned in appreciation as the hand began to rub firmly over my shoulders.

"I told you to space your schedule out more, but you insist on trying to save the entire world in a day," Terry teased in my ear.

"I am not trying to save the world. I am trying to do my job, however. We can't all just come and go like some people," I said back to him.

"Ma'am when am I not on call at the hospital? Come, so we can go get you something to eat," He told me and I sighed before I got up. It wasn't like he was going to give me much of a choice anyway.

Standing up I got my things together and followed him out of the office. I walked off behind him, but he didn't hold my hand. He never really did while we were together at a place where we worked. He liked to keep things pretty professional, and I truthfully didn't care. I simply walked along and did my bidding.

As we walked my phone buzzed and the memories notification popped up from my photos. Walking down the straight fairly emptied hallway, I looked at it seeing that we weren't talking or anything of the sort. When I did click into it I instantly let my eyes widen a fraction that nobody would ever be able to tell.

If it was him, he would've.

Closing the phone, I blinked back the picture of me sitting in the car holding Stefano as we looked on in aw at something in my hand near the window. While we were focused, Marcus was leaning over from the driver's side grinning behind us widely. I took my lip in-between my teeth as I thought about how funny it was to observe little Stef while he hit against the window in curious earnest with his little hands. We'd only taken him outside to calm his fussy self down.