Fifteen: The Best Thing Yet (Sure Thing)

Marcus Katrell Daniels

"Even when we're down to the wire babyEven when it's do or dieWe could do it baby, simple and plain'Cause this love is a sure thing"•••

Even when it's do or die
We could do it baby, simple and plain
'Cause this love is a sure thing"
•••

It had been a long while since I last woke up this happy and at ease. This morning I woke up with Jalyn tucked in front of me sleeping soundly on my arm as one of her hands rested on my other arm wrapped securely around her waist. I sighed as I pressed my face into her wildly spawned out hair and I rested in it not being able to knock this goofy grin off my face for nothing in the world. I was just happy to have her wrapped here in my arms knowing that we were going to find a way to make it through.

Everything was not yet water under the bridge. I knew that we had so much more talking to do about what had happened over the past year, who were now, and how we wanted to move forward. I also knew that it wasn't going to be easy just because we wanted each other more than anything. It was going to testy at times, but in the end I was going to keep my word to never let her go again and I knew we'd make it through whatever was in our path.

I got this room on a literal whim after I'd dipped out of the party following Kash's pregnancy announcement. I was happy for my sister, I really was, but I couldn't stop the tugging feeling in my chest that brought me back to the day when Invi and Winter told me about the pregnancy scare. I'd never forget that because I held so much hope in my heart that she was, because then I'd have an excuse to run back to her. I'd have an excuse to make it work beside her while I watched her carry a life the was made of us. When they told me that the test were negative I was hurt as hell, but in that hurt I made the choice to be better. I made the choice to become the man I needed so that the next time around I would be there for her as she looked at the text. I'd be the first to know what the future had in store for us, and not anybody else.

However, it wasn't lost that I had a ways to go before we got to that point, and Kash and Matteo reminded me of that. So as the dancing endured, and once I snuck away from my nosey mother and Granny, I got a room and decided that if I was bold enough I'd ask her to come and simply talk to me. I'd watched her dance with our family smiling and gracefully moving about the room. I listened to her laugh fill an entire space, and every time I did any of the above I fell more in love with her than I had been. Still I couldn't bring myself to do a thing until Winter made her speech. I knew she wasn't talking to me per-se but the way her call to action blanketed over me securely pushed me to go for Jalyn. Without giving myself the chance to question anything I went to Jalyn, slid her the card, and left the rest up to the Lord.

The only thing I knew was that I wanted my baby back something bad. I was tired of seeing her with somebody who didn't love her and value her, and I wanted her to see that we were still worth the fight to make it work. She put in the fight the last time around. She made the first moves, she made me commit and feel safe in her own commitment, and she was the one who fought to stay when I was running. This time it was my turn to bare that weight with her fairly, if not more, and I was ready to do it. And as she lied here in my arms I was ready to work on us more, but I knew we had a day ahead of us both.