Chapter 23

The year is ending, another peaceful year is about to pass. My intense studying session with help from Leliana has been paid off in our recent finals. My classmate started greeting me 'good morning' and 'see you tomorrow'. The boys and my training with Mr. Berry have been going well too. We improved a lot on our teamwork. I also noticed I have developed muscles recently too from the training. I like being healthy and all but...I do not look like a delicate young lady at all if I continue growing muscles. Ah! 

         But enough negativity, today is the last day of school. I cannot wait to go home and see my parents already back from their almost one-year business trip. Ah~, this year really has been treating me well. 

          "Yohanan?" Chester called out to me. I quickly snapped back to reality and see Chester and Rohan already have stacks of books on their hands. Oh, I just remember today is our turn to collect homework and deliver it to our mathematics teacher's office. After Chester was sure I was already back to reality, he said, "The books at the teacher's desk."

          I got up from my seat and baby-run towards the teacher's desk and pick up the stacks of books left on it. Aww, they can be such a sweetheart sometimes. They left me only a little. I bet that is mostly Chester's idea. After I pick them up, I baby-run again to catch up with both of them who already left. I bet it is Rohan's idea. 

         After I catch up with them, it was silent for a moment but Chester as always broke the ice. "Your parents coming home today?" He asked with his usual kind smile on his face.

          "Yeah!" I said, cheerily. How can I not be cheerful about that?!

          "You better ask them to get you checked out. Your zoning out problem is not normal at all." Rohan said. 

            "Aww. Chester, look, Rohan is worried about me." I said, giggling.

            "LIKE HELL!" He said before quickly turning his head in the opposite direction. He might be covering his bright red face. He a little bit tsundere, after all. Being called out for being compassionate is their main weakness. 

             Chester just laughs along. "But it's good to see you cheered up like this..." He said. 

              Then, it was silent again. Maybe because we are close to our teacher's office but now it is my turn to break the ice. "I see that you two have gotten taller." I pointed out as I look at both of them. 

               "You've grown taller too," Rohan said.

              "Really?" I said.

               He was silent but then I can see a smirk slowly forming at the side of his mouth. Oh God, it is one of his sarcastic remarks again. "Meanie..." I muttered. Chester just laughs at us again.

               "Yohanan, can you please knock the door?" Chester asked me when we arrived right in front of our maths teacher's office. I just nodded and knock the door. It was not that hard at all since what I am carrying is not that heavy at all. 

                "Come in." We heard from inside the office.

                I open the door. 

                But I do not just see our maths teacher there but also Poppy. What is Poppy doing here?

               Our math teacher just looks at me and he looks at me with apologetic eyes. Wait, I do not like this. What is happening?

                "Milady," Poppy said after turning around to look at me who is slowly walking towards our math teacher's desk. 

                  I put the books on my hands gently on the table. I held my breath before turning to look at Poppy, "What are you doing here?" I asked.

                  "Mr. and Mrs. Saige has passed away. Their bodies...just arrived home an hour ago." Poppy said. Sometimes I like her straightforwardness but in this situation...I do not like it at all.

                   Did I hear it right? Did she just tell me my parents are dead? Father and mother? This cannot be true. "No, it can't be true. You're lying, right? That can't be true. This wasn't supposed to happen...I- No! No..." I said. That cannot be true. In the game, they are not dead. There is no harm done to them. They are never planned to be dead.

                   "No, I'm not lying." Poppy said. As tears started sliding down my cheeks, she said, "It's true." Hearing that makes my legs felt weak and I fell to the ground. I can hear the boys called out my name as they try to catch me. Chester asked me if I am fine but I find myself unable to answer him. I just cannot think of a sentence anymore. Everything is falling apart in my mind right now.

                     We were supposed to be celebrating Christmas this year. They will give me Christmas presents. We will talk about what has been happening in my life. This school holiday is supposed to be fun and warm. This is not in the game. This is not in the game at all. What is happening? Why? Why? --

                         And everything fades to black.