Chapter 32

After running away from the hoard of goblins that ambushes us, we lie low for a few hours and waited for things to calm down while learning the patrolling pattern of the goblins. It looks like they only patrol over a small territory. That means, they will be more likely to give up on chasing us past their territory.

          What bothered me a lot is that, I thought goblins settlement or base would be far deeper into the forest. The textbook even says, they were never really seen around this part of a forest. Their behaviour is unlike how they are supposed to be. Could it be that something influences them to do so?

          Ugh, better think about that later. Right now, I need to focus on our rescue plan. We rescue her first then we can go deeper inside the forest to find a shelter before finding a way to get out of all this mess.

"I'm positive that the base is that way. The patrollers keep going back to that direction." Chester said, pointing north.

"So what's our plan now?" I asked.

"First, we need to get close to their base. Wait for a few more hours. Then we sneak in at midnight." Chester said.

"How do we sneak in?" Rohan asked. "Base is called base for a reason. It must be well guarded. They even have a proper patrolling system." He added.

          We fell silent but then an idea popped up in my mind. "Set a fire somewhere nearby!" I suggested.

          Chester and Rohan seems to want to agree with that suggestion but the idea of potentially starting a forest fire is not the smartest course of action. Especially if we plan to go deeper into it.

"Explosion always work as a distraction." I suggested again.

"That means someone need to be out there alone. I don't like the sounds of that." Chester said.

          Rohan shrugged, "No matter what you feel, I'm still doing it." He said. "If you want Maya rescued, deal with it." He sternly said.

          Chester gave him a pained look before reluctantly agreeing.

"So how do we communicate during all that?" I asked.

"Rohan. Continual explosion if everything's alright. Silence if something gone wrong." He said. "I can just cast a green flare if we did it. Red for retreat." Chester said.

"We'll regroup at the place where we've seen the goblin turn back." Rohan said

"Okay, I guess we're ready." I said.

          Rohan and Chester nodded. Then, we started to slowly move closer towards where the goblin's base is located.

          We waited behind bushes and trees until midnight  while keeping an eye out for the patrolling goblins.

          When it is time, Rohan took a deep breath before he goes somewhere far from us.

"Rohan!..." I whispered before he goes. He turns to look at me. "Be careful." I said.

          Rohan eyes widens but then, with a smirk, "You better do that too. Take care of Chester for me." He said before disappearing into the darkness.

          After a few minutes of waiting, we heard a loud explosion at the other side of the base. Then another explosion and another.

          Chester and me watches the guard-goblins and patrol-goblins scrambling towards where the sound came from. Dude, goblins really can be dumb. Abandoning their post just like that? They are guarding the front gate and even opened it to came out and check out the explosions.