Together

*What do you mean this didn't happen in Endgame?*

Tony threw himself forward as Thanos placed the last infinity stone into the gaunlet with a roar. Everything they had been through would mean nothing if the purple giant got to snap his fingers. And Tony could not let Nats sacrifice be for nothing.

He had no plan when he hurled himself at Thanos. He had to make sure the titan wouldn't snap his fingers. Whatever it took. Whatever the cost.

Tony grabbed the gaunlet so Thanos was unable to snap his fingers. Tony knew he couldn't hold his own for long and even when he used all his strength he could not pull off the gauntlet. The titan hit him in the ribs with a knee. The pain spread through his body, but he held onto the gaunlet. He held onto it for half the universe sake.

In the midst of their fight, surrounded by smoke and chaos, Tony suddenly remembered something. It was a memory from when they had traveled back in time. The moment he had met his father. 

His dad had tried to give him a handshake and when Tony awkwardly had responded with a few fingers Howard had said something.

"Shake it, don't pull it"

Maybe he couldn't pull the gaunlet of, but...

Tony got an idea.

He used his other arm to block an incoming punch from the titan. Come on!! Tony thought as he struggled with the gaunlet.

He wasn't ready for the next blow. It hit him in the chest and sent him flying. He landed hard on the ground, but it didn't matter. He had them.

Thanos looked down at him, laying on the ground. He had a smug look on his face. 

"I...Am...Inevitable" he said and snapped his fingers. Nothing happened. 

Tony pushed himself up, into a sitting position. 'Of course nothing had happened' he thought as he felt the six stones click into place. Tony felt a giant burst of raw energy spreading from his hand, through his veins, into the rest of his body. The pain was unbearable and Tony knew this would be the end. Just by holdning the stones he could feel the energy eating away at his body and his lifeenergy ebbing out. He would not recover from snapping Thanos and his army away. 

But that was okay. He accepted it. He was ready to give his life for something bigger.

 He was ready to be the one, who lay down on the wire.

The awful vision, that had hunted him for years, was not his going to be his legacy. 

This was. 

And he was ready. Finally, he had the opportunity do the right thing. He remembered Cap's words.

Whatever it takes.

All these thoughts ran through his head as he took a deep breath, ready to do the most selfless act of them all. He was ready.

All of a sudden, a hammer came out of the blue and hit Thanos right in the head, knocking him off his feet.

Tony felt someone grab his hand, the one with the stones, and intervene their fingers. The energy was still running through his veins, but the pain decreased. He turned his head and looked into a pair of blue eyes.

"C-cap?" he let out. He noticed how the energy seemed to run from his hand, into the super soldiers hand, arm and body.

 He had taken a part of the burden.

"I told you..." Cap whispered through gritted teeth "...Together"

The two men snapped.