Six: Jide

I was going through the murder case file again. It was like a routine now and so far, so good. I had sent a few policemen to take care of the situation at the night club should anything happen.

Things were almost normal. I wish they were already but if I wanted to finish this case, I had to do it with patience and carefulness. I wasn't the best detective, although I wasn't the worst either, but somehow the police force had been able to see something in me, I didn't understand those things when they talked about them.

Each time though, my mind went to Miriam. The nurse told me that she was likely to have PTSD after the incident. I didn't blame her though, after all we all live in our fears. She hadn't called but I knew that she was alive, somehow and I may not know what she was going through but I could try to understand.

I tried to get my mind off work. Today was a Saturday and I was off on weekends which meant I had all the time at home to myself. I shifted my focus to the flat screen TV in front of me. I really needed time off. Even my brain kept working when it shouldn't.

"Enjoying the weekend off I see."

I stretched myself on the couch.

"Maybe but my mind is not off duty."

"I'll get you some beer, I think that should help."

I smiled. "Yes please."

She knew me all too well. Jamilah and I had bonded over the past years she had spent in the house with me. I didn't know how she was able to cope with my absence most of the time. Some days I feel guilty for leaving her alone in the house most of the time.

After the football match I watched on the TV was over, I offered to take Jamilah out. We went to an eatery and took a walk.

"You know, sometimes I feel like I should spend time with you more."

She gave me a surprised look like I expected. I did not normally sound so... sentimental, was that even the word? I was more concerned with work than anything else.

"Where is this really coming from, or are you an alien Jide? First you take us out to eat, now you're sounding... well, not like the Jide I know. What happened to the wannabe super-human Jide?"

I chuckled. She knew.

"It's just that you do quite a nice job taking care of me."

It was her turn to chuckle.

"Nah... It's nothing. You did something nice for me too and you still do."

"How are your driving tests coming along?"

I paid for driving lessons for her since she had been legal to drive for a long time.

"They're nice. I'm also doing great actually. I'll be given my license soon."

I felt proud. She had always been a fast learner.

"So, what has been going on?"

"You mean work?"

"No, I know about work. I mean other things. Have you been able to reach your brother since the last time you saw him?"

I stiffened. This was a very sensitive topic and I was surprised she brought it up. My brother and I haven't been in the best terms for some months now. We had had serious quarrels over the past years but not like the last one we had. Of course, it had to do with our parents.

"Jide.", the sound of her voice brought me back to reality. I just grunted.

"Sorry I had to bring it up but somebody had to. You need to settle things with him. He's all you have."

"I have you."

"I'm not enough Jide. You need to stop punishing yourself with loneliness. Everyday in your life is basically the same dang thing."

I was surprised how she could keep her voice low and calm when I could hear the frustration laced inside. Sometimes I did frustrate her, she had told me. I looked at her and she looked back at me. We shared awkward and silent eye contact before she lowered her head.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

"No, it's okay. You're right, but just not right now. There's too much on my mind."

I kept walking and she tagged along. She was so straight forward, it didn't happen so often. We just walked to the car, got in and I drove home.

I made a memo to check up on my brother on a good day. Although there was still one other thing I wanted to do and that was to check up on Miriam, this time not concerning the killer but her own welfare.

I began to take out clothes from my wardrobe. I dropped my choice on my bed and freshened up. I was going to pay somebody a visit, and it was going to be a long night.

~~~

Author's note: So... guys, short chapter, I'm sorry the next chapter will be longer. But let me know, whose POV do you prefer? Miriam's or Jide's?
Also, what do you think about Jamilah?

Unfortunately though, there aren't going to be so many characters in this book.

Don't forget our usual drill: Please vote, share and comment.

Much love from your girl 😘