Twenty: Jide

Jamilah had left earlier and borrowed my car. She said something about driving a little before she would be issued her driver's license. I was only fine with it after she promised that she was going to stay away from driving in places where there were lots of cars and people.

Gabriel had been sending me text messages which I chose to ignore, I needed to stay sane.

I had gone through all the files from the brothel. I had managed to separate the ones with "D", "S" and "T"  from the rest and I was ready to call the owner of the brothel for questioning on Monday.

I had to get more information. I hadn't told Miriam about the files. It was going to be hard to do everything with her when feelings were attached.

I was slowly trying to take any dependence I had on her away. Hopefully I would be able to detain the owner of the brothel by Monday without her knowing.

I felt I was already halfway there. There had to be a connection between the brothel owner and the murderer. And they tried to work together to get rid of her.

If the owner of the brothel would co-operate then ending this case won't be so hard. I was looking through the window in my room. I could see the neighborhood from here and it gave me a sense of security.

A sense of security was something I liked, it was the only good thing I left these days except, of course, the feel of Miriam's skin on or near mine. It always sent a chill down my spine, something I tried to mask. It was exciting and frustrating that I was growing feelings for the same person I was supposed to be protecting.

I wished it would end but at the same time, I relished in it. I couldn't help my mind wandering to her.

What was I doing?

I shook my head. Olajide, this is not you. Suddenly the view lost its effect on me. The desire to take some alcohol was very strong and I had to put up a fight with myself. I wanted to keep my promise to Miriam.

I moved downstairs to the sitting room where Miriam was watching TV. She smiled at the TV, a genuine one, it was beautiful because I hardly saw those. As I walked to the couch, she didn't notice it. I was glad I didn't have to go to work.

Oh glorious Saturday.

"I didn't know you like telenovelas."

She jumped at my voice and turned defensively to look at me, raising fists in front of her face as if she was ready to fight me.

I couldn't hold it back, I laughed my heart out. I didn't laugh like this everyday.

She looked a little confused and bit her lower lip, instantly I looked at it. She didn't seem to notice.

"You're happy today."

I frowned.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That you behave way too serious for your health."

I didn't say anything, she was right after all.

I moved to the front of the couch and sat beside her. She shifted, keeping a little distance between us, she may have not intended me to see it.

I felt a little disappointed, but I tried to shove the feeling away. There was this awkward silence between us and she had stopped smiling. It was almost like she was trying hard to not talk to me.

Seconds felt like hours and the air was beginning to feel thick with tension. Miriam excused herself and went to the kitchen. I, however, ran my hand all over my short hair.

She seemed to be avoiding me all over again and it was beginning to start a new kind of frustration.

Had I done something wrong?