Thirty: Jide

Hello 😁

Now, before you get into the story, I just want y'all to check out these books:

Mrs Oladiran by dianel1263
And More by psyko_koffee

Please be sure to support and give them your best and trust me, they're awesome writers 😁

Alright! The story.

~~~

Nine years earlier...

"Traitor", he spat at me.

I didn't flinch.

"You, after all I've done for you, this was the best way to repay me?"

"I'm sorry but I had to do something, I couldn't bear to watch you do more things to more people."

I was lying, I wasn't apologetic in any way. He deserved it and more. He was crazy. He didn't even care if people lived anymore and there was always that look in his eyes.

I did feel guilty though and there were deep emotions welling down within me but I masked everything with an emotionless face. I tried to give nothing away.

"I've never seen you so crazy in my entire life. After how you ended the lives of those people like it was nothing, you made a mini-party over their deaths when they did absolutely nothing to you. You need help Gabriel."

"Do you think the world is stable? Do you think the world wasn't crazy when our parents were killed? This world deserves everything that's coming to it and I don't care."

"You should know better, two wrongs don't make a right. We can't be like them, or aspire to be like them. It's crazy."

"Hypocrite. You talk like you haven't been at  my side while everything was happening. You act like you didn't rob people with me. You act like you're so worthy when infact, you're just like me."

"No, I am nothing like you. What I see in your eyes when you kill, it's pure bloodlust. It's like you're drinking out of pure delight. You don't know how many nights have gone restless thinking about how many people I harmed. You only think it's a joke."

He frowned and across the table from me where he was sitting, I could see a certain look in his eyes, a dangerous one. But I wasn't going back. It was something I was going to do once and for all. I couldn't rob homes anymore to stay alive. With how my life went, I should be protecting them.

"I've made my decision Gabriel, I'm going to stay with Uncle Bode and I'll join the police force too."

The look on his face was fierce but he didn't say anything.

"I'm not telling you this because I want your opinion. I wanted to visit you today to let you know what I plan on doing and to see if you have any intentions of joining me and changing your life."

He folded his arms across his chest and looked away.

"Our parents die and leave us alone to work together. I take care of you for years and you turn me in to be arrested by the police and now you're joining the police force and asking me to join you. Jide, I don't even want to look at your face right now."

"You went about it wrongly. There should have been another way. You killed people Gabriel, doesn't that mean anything to you? What about human life?"

"And what about human life? Where did thinking about human life get me? It didn't give me a roof over my head. Wake up Jide, what was your plan B?"

I exhaled.

"You're still unconvinced. And clearly I can't make you see reasons with me. Once again, I'm sorry it had to happen this way."

"No, Jide. You should have no regrets except not charging me for my actual crimes. Because I'm going to do my time in jail and I'll get out. Once I'm out, nobody is going to save you from me. I'll make things even."

"What's that even supposed to mean?"

"You have ceased to be my brother, Jide, and once I get out and find you, nobody is going to save you from me. I'll kill you myself."

I fell silent. Fear slowly gripped me and squeezed my heart as I saw the intense look in his eyes.

It reminded me of why I wanted him to be locked up in the first place — he was dangerous, even to me and I feared that one day I would be his victim or his profound follower.

I didn't want either of it. And I was going to protect everyone I knew from him. I was going to start life afresh and make up for hurting people the way I did, only then would I be able to forgive myself. Gabriel was never going to be part of my future.

I stood up and left since the conversation was seemingly over.

Since that day I never looked back.

Now...

I had broken into a cold sweat as I quickly got up from the bed. My breathing was rapid and my heart was racing.

Gabriel.

I shook my head.

Make things even.

I was having nightmares again, those nightmares I had after I heard that he had been released from jail.

It had been so long, I had forgotten he wanted me dead for betraying him all those years. It was about his revenge. He was still full of bloodlust.

I shook my head. Nothing had changed.

And to think I forgot.

I made to check the time on my phone and saw that I had a message.

Meet me where you left today by tomorrow afternoon. Don't be late.

—Gabriel.

I creased my brows in full understanding. So, this was his plan on killing me. He did everything just to kill me.

I chuckled dryly. I should be honoured at his dedication and scared at the same time.

So, he was just trying to prove a point by almost killing Jamilah, in normal Gabriel fashion. And Miriam, what was he planning on doing with her after using her to lure me when he found out that somehow I had become attached to her?

Of course.

He was going to kill her as well.

I was going to admit it. He had a nice plan but it should mean he should have been watching me to know what has really been happening and how to find me when I had obviously been running from him.

But how?

Gabriel was not one to drop hints and if I was going to survive at the end of tomorrow, I needed a plan.

~~~

Author's note: I dunno how you see this chapter and the entire book infact. I think it needs some heavy editing.

And incase you didn't know, updates are now on weekends with one or two chapters. I'll try to update tomorrow but if I don't update by then, I'll hopefully see y'all next week.

And good news is that we're getting to the end. I can't wait.

Much love from your girl 😘