Nine: Miriam

I woke up and the events of the last night suddenly came flooding in. Jide was here and I acted so stupidly. I mentally facepalmed myself. Stupid stupid stupid.

The walk back to the brothel was slow. I noticed a car pulled up nearby. Cars did not normally pull up near the harem of course and the only car that I knew had pulled up anywhere around here was Jide's car, but that wasn't his car. I took my mind off it immediately.

The brothel was quiet as it was supposed to be during the day. I walked to my room and found my roommates asleep. They must've had a rough night. I heard a strong feminine voice and a masculine voice — a masculine voice — which is not something that happened everyday. Then it dawned on me that I should be sleeping, I ran into the room and locked the door.

"So you're saying that I should do what I did the last time?", that was the feminine voice.

"No, I'm saying that you should be wise. Remember I give you money, you should reciprocate, after all it's a business deal. I gain, you gain. And I don't lose."

I could sense something awry somewhere. I wish I could see the people talking.

"Let's go to my office to discuss this, there are ears everywhere here."

Office.

Of course, that was Majoress.

I heard them walk away.

~~~

Everybody went for lunch, except me. I was alone in the room. I wasn't hungry, I just wanted to be alone. That was my plan until a knock sounded on the door. I went to open it and was surprised to see Chinelo there.

"Do you want to talk about something?", she asked before I could say anything.

Did I?

"No, nothing."

"Really? Not even about the fight at the club yesterday?"

I tensed.

"Majoress has gotten wind of it and she's not happy. Do you know what that means?"

That I was in trouble?

"It means that you're almost off her good charts and trust me, you don't want to be."

I didn't say anything, but I felt a mixture of shock and fear. What was I supposed to expect now?

"So why're you not going to get lunch?", I tried changing the subject.

"Majoress has asked to see me concerning you. I figured it was because of the fight. I was there yesterday. You'd better hope that she only heard the original story. You'd be in less trouble."

She eyed me up and folded her hands across her chest.

"Listen, we're not the best of friends but I'd like you to trust me, I can help you.", she held my shoulder and we shared eye contact. My eyes full of fear and worry peered into hers to find confidence and some kind of power.

I'd like you to trust me, her words rang in my head. Trust me.

"You're not saying anything."

"Oh, sorry."— I realized I hadn't said much since she showed up — "Thank you, I will."

She gave me a smile and left. I knew where she was headed.

~~~

It was evening again. Time to prepare for another night. I cringed at the thought of it. I was still wearing my dressing gown when I heard a knock on the door.