Eleven: Miriam

I woke up as soon as the morning lights hit my eyes.

As I stretched on what I was lying on, my hand touched something smooth — paper. I took it and unfolded it.

Good morning,
I had to leave early for work today. Jamilah will make sure you get everything you need. Don't forget to stay indoors always.

— Jide.

So we really did sleep here. I looked around. The place was nice. He had a taste for decor. When I remembered that I was going to stay here for a long time I had mixed feelings.

I got up and assumed a sitting position with the blanket covering my laps. I was wearing his shirt and — I checked under the blanket — a pair of his boxers. I felt... strange.

"Oh, you're awake."

I looked up at the owner of the voice. I saw a light skinned girl about my age. She was very beautiful with delicate features. Around her head was a hijab.

"Don't be scared. My name is Jamilah. Jide told me that you would be here for a while.", she said when she realized she startled me.

I hesitated a bit, trying to judge her. Then I realized that she couldn't be of any harm. My guard was down.

"Miriam."

"I know.", she smiled, "Jide told me."

No, he did not tell somebody else about what was happening, no.

"Really? So what else did he tell you?"

"He said that your house caught fire so you needed a place to stay. He said you were his... friend."

So, he lied.

"Ah... yes. He was my only hope and luckily for me, he didn't disappoint.", I tried to follow up on Jide's lie.

She smiled.

"So... you and Jide live together?"

"We've been living together for almost three years."

"So you're his girlfriend then. Although I wonder why you don't share a bedroom."

She laughed and I began to feel a little embarrassed. I honestly thought people who date share a bedroom.

"Not girlfriend, cousin. He took me in since I was nineteen. A lot has changed since then though.", her voice came out a little weak at the last sentence, filled with emotion.

"Oh.", I hung my head.

"So... Jide never brings anybody home. How did you two meet?", she said coming closer and sitting beside me. She mood was slightly lifted. I liked her, she always embraced the happy side.

She didn't know the truth, I had to keep it so. She seemed so eager.

"It happened at an... unfortunate event.", I wasn't lying though, I had to be involved in a messed up situation. I was unfortunate.

"Why are you asking anyways?", I said trying to change the topic.

"Well, it's just... Jide doesn't bring people to stay over. He has a very hard outer shell. Not everybody sees his nice side, so I figured that you might be... I dunno... special or something."

It was my turn to laugh. Me? Special? Ha! That was the most hilarious thing I'd heard in a while. She gave me a puzzled look that I smiled at.

"It's just that you're blowing things out of proportion. It's just a kind gesture. Nothing more to it."

She hung her head this time. "Oh."

"It's okay. I think we all make mistakes."

She looked at what I was wearing but didn't say anything. Thank God for that. She showed me her room and I gushed over it, forgetting that I was supposed to pretend that I had my own house. She didn't say anything though.

Honestly, it was nice. I had never had to stay in somewhere so nice and this time I had to share the room with only one person — one — and it was somebody I was really getting along with. Jamilah had an excellent taste in decor. From the wall paint combination to her bed, everything screamed excellence.

"So, where're your bags?"

"Oh, my bags?", I regained composure, "I didn't have the chance to take any."

I didn't even like my original clothes.

"Alright. No problem. I'll just borrow you some but you'll return it later. If Jide knows you didn't take your bags then I'm sure he'll do something about it."

I nodded.

I spent the rest of the day with her showing me around, doing chores with me and telling me about herself. She was very friendly, more than anyone I've met.

Later in the evening, Jide was back. He walked in through the door looking tired.

"Rough day at work?"
He almost jumped and I stiffled a giggle.

"Very funny Miriam.", he said when he noticed that I found it amusing.

"Welcome anyways. Your food is on the dining table as usual.", I said walking away. Jamilah lent me one of her ankle-length gowns and I was almost having trouble with it. I wasn't exactly used to it.

"Wait.", he said sitting on one of the couches, "I got you something."

I stopped and turned to him. He handed me a bag and I looked at it before taking it.

I had a peek inside and almost gasped.
"You got me clothes?"

"I didn't think it was okay for you to sleep in my shirt again but I don't exactly know your size but I've gotten you clothes that fit you before so I figured out that I could pull it off again. I don't know if I figured it out right."

I brought them out and checked them. They all looked my size or a little bigger. There were more T-shirts than anything. I didn't mind though.

"Jide, this is very nice. I don't even know how to return the favour."

I didn't get it, why was he always nice when he didn't even know me. It puzzled me.

"Don't, I'm just doing my job."

"Right.", I said.

I folded everything back into the bag.

"Jamilah is very nice by the way. We spent the entire day together."

"Great to see that you two are not bickering. I hate when women do that."

"I don't think we'll be doing that.", I paused, "So... she said that you two were cousins."

"Yeah. Long story of how we've been cohabitating shaa."

"She said that things have been different with you."

He gave me a look.

"Are you here to interrogate me?"

"Maybe."

"We all have back stories Miriam but I don't normally share mine."

But I was so interested in hearing someone else's story, his own particularly, at least I'd know about the person who allowed me to live with him. I had asked Jamilah about it but she said it'd be better if he told me himself.

"How about we trade? I'll tell you about the prostitution thing and you tell me your back story?"

He looked at me. "I'll think about it but not today."

I groaned inwardly, he was adamant — very adamant.

"Miriam, can you just give me a little space please. I'm tired and I need to rest. We'll talk about this some other time.", he said when he noticed I wasn't going anywhere.

I hesitated before moving back to Jamilah's room, he had shunned me and I didn't know why it hurt more than it should. I thanked him again before I closed the door to Jamilah's room.