That'll Ruin Your Vacation

My heart beat fast as we approached the apartment building. When Ruby pulled over to let me out, I hesitated for a second. I got out and walked over to the driver's side to make saying goodbye less awkward.

     He rolled down his window and smiled at me. "This week went by really fast," I said.

     "Yeah I know, but the tour only lasts a month," he put his hand on one of my arms that was resting on the base of his window.

     "Then you're going back home, and who knows when I'll see you again. I'mma miss your annoying ass," I looked down, afraid to look in his eyes.

     "I know. Look, I'll see you at the Florida show, and we come out here all the time to see some of our friends. A lot of 'em live here."

     "Right, but you'll be all busy with famous rapper stuff to talk to me," I teased. He shook his head.

     "Baby, trust me, we're gon' do more than just talk," he gave me an obnoxious wink and I took my arms off the car.

     "Alright, alright. I'll keep in touch with you while you're gone," I said, putting my hands in my hoodie pocket.

     "You better. If a day goes by and I don't hear from you, I'm blowin' your phone up. I don't want you goin' MIA on me."

     "You're crazy," I said, leaning over to bring my face to his. We kissed and I pulled away after barely two seconds. "Alright, go, get the hell outta here. I don't wanna make you late." I stood back up and backed away from the car.

     "Bye, Charlie," he said. I waved as he drove away. By the time I got to the door of the apartment, I felt a twinge of sadness. It felt strange, since I pretty much had just met him.

     "Charlie!" Eric shouted as I opened the door. I waved at him with a slight smile on my face, happy to be home. This is my home now.

     "Hey," I said, trying to match his enthusiasm.

     "Aw, are you upset your little boy toy left for tour?" he asked sarcastically. I walked over and sat next to him on the loveseat in the living room.

     "I wouldn't call him that, but yeah, I'm a little bummed. Especially when I think of how you're leaving, too."

     "I know, everyone's leaving you."

     I lightly hit him in the arm. "Shut up, don't remind me."

     "By the way, I really love how the artwork's coming along," he said, switching off the TV. He looked me up and down and his eyes landed on my wrist. "What's that?"

     I rolled my eyes as he pulled my hoodie sleeve up a bit. "Stop, Eric, it's really nothing. Well," I looked into his eyes and bit my lip. "Okay, don't get all 'big brother best friend' type mad at me."

     His brows furrowed and he nodded. "I know it's a hospital bracelet, but what happened? Did you die?"

     I laughed and shook my head. "No, I didn't die. I didn't eat for a week and a half and kinda fainted."

     "Wait, but you cooked a few times this past week and we both ate it, unless I'm hallucinating or sum'."

     "And that was painful for me. It wouldn't stay down - whatever, okay? I just don't like the reason behind it," I admitted.

     "What do you mean?"

     "I'm pretty sure Douchebag texted me from a new number," Eric's face scrunched up as soon as I said 'Douchebag'.