Zombie

Ruby and I sat next to each other awkwardly at the dinner table, his leg against mine in the privacy of the tablecloth. My anxieties weren't too far off, unfortunately. His mother did not seem to like me.

     She seemed nice, but that was mostly due to her appearance; her thin, blonde hair peppered with greys hung past her shoulders and she wore typical middle-aged woman attire. She asked me simple, boring questions about myself and I tried to answer honestly. Her responses changed from the initial genuine pleasantness to an uncomfortable passive aggression.

     "Ari, have you heard from K-"

     "No, mom. I don't keep in touch with my ex. You know this," Ruby said, exasperated. Nervously, I picked at my food to avoid looking at either of them.

     "That's a shame," his mom started. She cleared her throat obnoxiously. "She was nice. At first I was worried about her, since she was older, but what's three years?"

     "She cheated on me, mom."

     "I think she was just misunderstood."

     "Alright."

     "Oh, Charlie," she called, and I slowly looked up from the safety of my plate.

     "Yes?" I tried to be as polite as possible.

     "I know your real name isn't just 'Charlie', that's a name for men. What's your birth name?" She asked, her voice raising at least an octave as she switched from speaking to her son to me.

     I opened my mouth, ready to answer, but Ruby stopped me. "Ma, come on."

     "Sorry," She said in fake shame.

     The rest of our time there played out like that, with Ruby having to defend me and himself after almost everything his mother said. Once we said our goodbyes and left the house, I felt the pair of imaginary hands that had been strangling me leave my neck.

     "I'm sorry, I really thought she woulda liked you," Ruby apologized. I waved him off, strapping myself in.

     "I'm just glad she wasn't more outwardly rude," I said. Ruby backed out and started our thirty minute trip back home.

     "She said you had a dude's name, Char."

     "Yeah."

     We didn't speak for a second, letting the low music on the radio play uninterrupted. I was upset that his mom didn't like me - typical for someone so uptight with anxiety. It just bothered me more because I didn't know the reason. Ruby seemed bothered by it, too, but more so in an angry way. His hands gripped the steering wheel tight as he clenched his jaw.

     "I'm fuckin' pissed she brought up my ex."

     "I'm sorry."

     "No, it's aight. And the fucking age thing, god damn it! Could she have made any more fuckin' digs at you? Fuck, man."

     "Okay, okay. I'm fine, and I get that you're mad, but she otherwise seems like a nice lady."

     "She is, that's why I'm so annoyed. An' if I hear any fuckin' snide ass comments about you from her tomorrow, I'mma call her out."

     "What does she need you to help her with, anyway?"

     "Probably to fix somethin'. I really don't know, she didn't specify."

     "Hmm," I didn't think much of it, except for the fact that his mom probably wanted to openly insult me while he was there tomorrow. "Sad thing is, I'd take her over my own mother any day."