Epilogue

The sun just now, proclaimed its presence. And, a lazy bug tried to cocoon himself in the warmth of his wife. He slid his hand up and down on the bed. She was not there. Irritated, he squinted across the room. His face softened once he caught her sight. She was standing like a fresh bloomed flower, draped in a sky blue saree and and light brown blouse; causing him to rewind how she looked years ago, when she came to his birthday part, donned in a sky blue frock and light brown belt; with her dancing to the rhythm of the wind, she came like a little angel. The present Naina was no less, just the 'little' was gone.

Water was dripping from her shady locks as she rubbed a towel on her tresses, drying it. "Sameer. Utho na!" She voiced subconsciously, exhausted after trying to wake him up for the umpteenth time the morning. Sameer didn't utter a word. He was lost in the lavender fragrance of her shampoo that filled the room, merged with her strawberry odour. He wondered, what does flowers have, that the world are praising them for their perfume. Those are nothing before his wife. 

"Sameer!" Naina yelled and turned, only to be crashed into the hard chest of her man. His orbs were dark as they peered into hers; causing her to loose her being into its magic spell. Her tresses slapped his face as she turned suddenly, spoiling his plan of surprising her. Droplets of water were scattered on his face and he didn't care to wipe them. Those tiny drops burnt his skin; so were their proximity. He held her more closer and leaned forward. She placed her palm on his lips and ordered, "Go and brush!" 

"Naina . . . " Sameer whined, holding her firm, not letting her go. 

"Maine kaha na. Jao!"

"Yadi yah samasya hai to main loonga!" Sameer said and kissed her cheek swiftly.

"Ergh!" Naina shrieked while Sameer's laughter echoed in the room. She wiped her cheeks muttering, "I should wash my face."

"Toh ye lo!" He pecked her other cheek and rushed into the bathroom leaving a screaming Naina behind.

• • •

"Sameer!" Her voice went unanswered and she again called out to him from the kitchen. Frowning, she turned. The house was dark, lights were off. Perplexed, she walked slowly to their room. Sameer was not there. Searching the whole house, she finally came to the meadow. Gleaming sunlight welcomed her and a box hit her leg. As she gazed down, a pillow was lying beside the box.

She picked up the pillow and her lips stretched, forming into a smile. It was the pillow they used to deceive the world and sometimes themselves. It was Sameer who suggested to not reveal her problem to the others. One day, he brought a small pillow and from that day, Naina became pregnant. It became their normal habit. They themselves believed that Naina was pregnant. Sameer wanted Naina to experience those beautiful days. With time, the size of the pillow increased.

Her eyes became moist. She remembered that she forgot to keep the pillow today. And, why was it lying here. Was Sameer angry with her? Pondering, she knelt down and opened the box.

Her inhalation halted and her eyes widened. She parted her lips. Drops of elation plunged from her orbs and she slowly took the tiny bundle in her hands.

"Happy Birthday Naina." His voice echoed in her ears and tears streamed down her cheeks. She gazed up and there was he; standing before the sun, beaming at her. His eyes bore into hers and he knelt beside her. Sameer enveloped her sideway with his long arms and Naina rested her head on his chest; weeping in glut.

"Mera gift kaisa hai?" Naina glanced up at him and averted her gaze again to the bale.

"Bahut acche hai." She snuggled more closer to him and he reciprocated. Both watched the motions of the mini thing that laid on Naina's hand. Small eyes closed, leaving tint of scarlet decorations the velvety cheeks, petite fisted hands were held close to the frame; near the lips. 

"Ladki ya ladka?" Naina queried as she touched those tiny fingers with hers. Soon those fragile hunters held her index finger, stiff; causing Naina to gasp and chuckle. Sameer adored the bond that was created between them instantly.

"Ladki." He informed and victory smile played on his lips. "Main jeeta!" Naina smirked and made a pout. Sameer made a bet that it would be girl while she said it would be a boy and he won. Sameer tried to take the baby from Naina's hand, but she didn't let him.

"Use mujhe de do!" He demanded.

"No!"

"Main uska papa hoon, okay?"

"Agar hai to main uske maa hoon." She proclaimed and realisation sunk in. She became a mother; she believed she could never. But he did it; Sameer. She gazed at her.

"Isn't she beautiful?" Sameer voiced before Naina could. His voice was a whisper mixed with affection. It was their child. Naina nodded and pecked the tiny forehead in sedate way. Drops rolled down Naina's cheeks and reached the little sparkle's cheeks. Sameer wiped her tears and kissed Naina's forehead; promising that he would be always there, whatever the situation. 

Naina held his hand with her left hand and let her child hold her right hand's index finger more firm; exquisite possessions of her. "I love you Sameer." She gazed into his eyes with love, elation, overwhelm, fondness, gratitude and what not? 

"I love you too." Tinge of scarlet furnished her cheeks. It might be the umpteenth time she was hearing this sentence from him, but it always causes something inside her. 

"Sameer! . . . Naina!" Nanaji's voice brought them out of their trance and they motioned inside the house with Sameer grasping the small girl compactly. Naina was following them. Her eyes embedded at the man ahead of her. The gaze was alike to the one that she passed him years before, donned in the turquoise pinafore and white shirt; nothing transmuted. 

The question perished long ago. Now only the answer exists; he is the one
_________________________________________

I know, it sucks. Sorry. 

Thank you so much for your support and love on this story.

S

ee you guys another day with another story, until then it's bye from Rashi, signing off from here. CHEERS!!!