The Unexpected

I pulled myself out of bed, folded my cover, and grabbed my guitar. It would be a good day; I could feel it in my bones. I hurried down the steps and out the window. I put the board back up and headed to the women's shelter to shower and change.

Man, it will be nice to do all this under one roof again. I miss the late-night baths that I used to relax in and forget the world for a short 30 minutes. But give it time, I will have a single out and my own house and bathroom.

When I finished my shower, I headed to one of my spots, and I noticed some kids were walking out of a big building. It's the same kids who used to sing with me, but I haven't seen them in a while. Are they taken good care of themselves, I wonder? I jog over to find out just how well these kids are. They are great kids; some people give up on them before finding their way. I should know; I was one of those kids.

"Hey, Pips, whatcha been up to?" One of the boys asked me. "Oh, nothing still singing and writing my songs," I say back with a smile.

"Oh well, hey, if you get tired of sleeping on the street and need a place, let me know." The other guy chimed in. So they are doing good from the looks of it, but now I feel like I'm the one who needs help. "Oh, that's sweet, really, but I'm fine," I said as I walked away. I didn't need a handout before, and I damn sure don't need one now.

I know they are just trying to help, but this is just something I have to do on my own. And I believe in myself just enough to know I can do this.

I stopped on the street corner and set up my guitar case and blanket. I may be poor and homeless, but I had always kept a blanket in my case. No matter where I was, I would never be cold.

I have sung about five songs when I feel someone's eyes on me. People stop and look at me while I sing all the time. But this was different, and it felt as if the eyes were staring right into my soul. I could feel them all over my body; who was watching me?

I then see the handsome man covered in tattoos come and put a one hundred dollar bill in my case. Um, that's not right; he must have confused it with a one-dollar bill.

But he was dressed like he didn't even have a one-dollar bill on him. He has the most beautiful piercing blue eyes I have ever seen. I mean, mine are blue but not nearly as bright as his. He had on dark black jeans and a thin white long sleeve shirt. The man's sleeves are neatly rolled up to his elbows, he looked at the watch on his wrist, and I could see a sleeve of tattoos. I wanted to trace every line with my fucking tongue.

No, stop. I don't need this distraction right now.

There's no way that was the person staring at me. I'm nothing to look at anyways. I always look a mess, and I can't remember the last time I brushed my hair and wore it down. Maybe he liked my voice. Oh well, he is gone, and as I said, I don't need any distractions right now.

The next few days came and went. I did the same thing every day, hoping someone would notice my voice and offer me some recording time, or let's be honest, anything at this point would be significant.

But the one thing that never changed this week was the man that put the one hundred dollar bill in my case. He found me every day this week and put a one hundred dollar bill in my case.

Right now, I have $500, which is the most money I have ever had in my life. I was gifted my guitar by one of the families. He loved my voice and wanted to hear me sing all the time, and he had a few other things in mind. But I like to see it as I got the best thing out of that family and the worst.

This man never says anything to me, and he doesn't stay for a whole song either. He comes, gives me money, and leaves. But not tomorrow, if he comes, I will ask him what he wants. Nothing in this life is free, and people don't just give you hundreds of dollars for nothing. There's always a catch.